× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 314, can't connect ext HDD

emumau
Aspirant

ReadyNas 314, can't connect ext HDD

I'm trying to connect an external HDD to backup my NAS but the NAS does not recognize the attached HDD.  I have tried using two different docking stations.  I have tried using two different HDDs.  I have tried using the eSATA port on both the front and rear of the NAS.  I have tried two different eSATA cables.  I have also tried connecting the ext HDD with a USB cable.  I have also tried rebooting the NAS.  Nothing that I have tried was recognized as an attached HDD.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

-How is the drive formatted?

-Is the drive powered, or are you powering it from a USB port

-What firmware is the NAS running?

There are some fixes for USB drive detection in 6.6.1 beta.

Message 2 of 15
emumau
Aspirant

- the drive is bare

- the docking station is externally powered (disk is spinning)

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@emumau wrote:

- the drive is bare

- the docking station is externally powered (disk is spinning)

I guess you could try 6.6.1 beta.

Message 4 of 15
emumau
Aspirant

"try the beta" doesn't sound like a prudent solution.  It sounds like a mulligan.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@emumau wrote:

"try the beta" doesn't sound like a prudent solution.  It sounds like a mulligan.

It's up to you of course.  There are several fixes to USB drive detection in 6.6.1, and some users at least have found that it solves their problems.

There's some posts here from Netgear suggesting it will be released shortly, so you could also wait a week or so and go with the production release.

Message 6 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

OS 6.6.1 is due for production release tomorrow according to this Netgear post

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

OS 6.6.1 is due for production release tomorrow according to this Netgear post

Yes, and I received a similar email (likely others did too).

Message 8 of 15
emumau
Aspirant

What fine fresh hell is this?  Now, I can't log into my admin account on my NAS.  The NAS is behind a firewall and not exposed to the public.  I have no idea how the password would have been changed.  I use LastPass to manage my password. 

Message 9 of 15
emumau
Aspirant

As a matter of fact, I can't log in to the web UI using any of my accounts or passwords.  WTF?!

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@emumau wrote:

As a matter of fact, I can't log in to the web UI using any of my accounts or passwords.  

https://nas-ip-address/admin  requires a user name of "admin".  The password is the NAS admin password.  Is that what you are trying?

Message 11 of 15
emumau
Aspirant

That's the main account that I'm trying to log in to.  There are other accounts that I cannot log in to either.  The web UI is not authenticating any accounts.

I have one ssh account that I am able to connect with that I use to manage a perforce server that is running on the NAS.  That seems to work.

Additionally, the email account that the NAS uses has changed passwords (a password change was required by the email provider, msn, and I cannot change back to the previous password) and the NAS was not updated, so it looks like password reset doesn't work.

I might look around the NAS with ssh to see if I am able to change the email settings.  I'll also try to see if I can ssh as root.

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The admin web ui's logon has to be admin.  There is no point in trying other usernames.

You can do an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  That resets the admin password to password and resets the network configuration to use DHCP.  Data should not be affected.

The boot menu details are on page 76 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf?cid=wmt_ne...

If you are using root to log in with ssh, it's possible that the procedure might also reset root's password back to password too.

Message 13 of 15
emumau
Aspirant

The OS Reinstall reset the passwords.

I upgraded to 6.6.1.  The NAS still does not connect an external HDD through USB or eSATA.

Message 14 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements