× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 314 disk recommendations incorrect

PWS442
Guide

ReadyNas 314 disk recommendations incorrect

The site recommends a Seagate 6TB IronWolf NAS SATA Hard Drive 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive for NAS Servers, Personal Cloud Storage (ST6000VN0033). Well, I just received 5 of them from Amazon, and the holes do not line up with the bracket. Had to send them back.

Please indicate on the site which are compatible with the RN31400.

Thank you

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 314 disk recommendations incorrect

@PWS442 wrote:

I ordered 5 of these yesterday: WD Red Pro 8TB 3.5-Inch SATA III 7200rpm 128MB Cache NAS Internal Hard Drive (WD8001FFWX). Picture seems to incidate they line up the same as the Red Pro 2TB drives I am replacing.

I agree.

FWIW, I use the WD Red 8 TB with the plastic inserts (WD80EFXZ), 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@PWS442 wrote:

The site recommends a Seagate 6TB IronWolf NAS  the holes do not line up with the bracket. Had to send them back.

Sigh.  All you had to do was remove the plastic insert (instructions are in the hardware manual).  Then attach the drives using the mount holes at the bottom of the tray - using the screws supplied with your NAS.  Some holes still won't align with the older trays, but enough will align to secure the disks.   

If you want to use the plastic insert, you just need to look at the disk specs (or on-line pictures) and make sure there are center mounting holes on the sides.  For instance, compare the readily available pictures of the WD60EFRX and the ST6000VN0033.

Message 2 of 7
PWS442
Guide

Well, I guess I have been lucky in my sequence of upgrades to the NAS over the years. I kind of like the plastic insert, better isolation than metal on metal, IMHO.

But, sigh, thanks for the tip.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@PWS442 wrote:

Well, I guess I have been lucky in my sequence of upgrades to the NAS over the years. I kind of like the plastic insert, better isolation than metal on metal, IMHO. 

I like the inserts too, but I'm not sure that there's any advantage as far as vibration goes.  I still have some older NAS that only use the screws, and drives seem to last in those enclosures also.

FWIW, back in 2013 when the RN314 was designed all drives had those side mounting holes.  But as capacity increased, the drive manufacturers were looking for every millimeter of internal space they could get for the larger platters.  Holes in the center of the disk got in the way, so they standardized "alternative mount points".

Netgear has adjusted the tray designs since then to better accomodate those new drives.  Unfortunately they've chosen not to sell the new trays separately (even though they work perfectly in all OS-6 NAS). 

Message 4 of 7
PWS442
Guide

Sheeipshly, he says the screws are "lost". That means they are someplace, but disassociated with my memory! But, marching back to Amazon, I ordered 5 of these yesterday: WD Red Pro 8TB 3.5-Inch SATA III 7200rpm 128MB Cache NAS Internal Hard Drive (WD8001FFWX). Picture seems to incidate they line up the same as the Red Pro 2TB drives I am replacing.

Pity the trays are not available.

Thanks much,

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

If you need screws, check Amazon for those intended for SuperMicro servers (with 3.5" drives).

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@PWS442 wrote:

I ordered 5 of these yesterday: WD Red Pro 8TB 3.5-Inch SATA III 7200rpm 128MB Cache NAS Internal Hard Drive (WD8001FFWX). Picture seems to incidate they line up the same as the Red Pro 2TB drives I am replacing.

I agree.

FWIW, I use the WD Red 8 TB with the plastic inserts (WD80EFXZ), 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements