× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo 2110 v1 placement and connection

hamslice
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo 2110 v1 placement and connection

I got my legacy Nas up and running with help from this forum, thanks!

Now I'm just considering the permenant placement, as it is fairly loud where the virgin hub is in the living room.

Ideally it could go under the starirs, but this would mean some fancy cable burial and drilling.

Does anyone have any creative solutions for this?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Duo 2110 v1 placement and connection

@hamslice wrote:

Is it also possible to connect the Nas to a second router that uses the same Wifi connection, or is that not a thing?

You could also use a wifi extender that has an ethernet out.  If you have a mesh (for example Orbi), you can similarly connect the NAS to the ethernet port in the Orbi satellites.

Both approaches can give reasonable performance, but mileage does vary.  Powerline can be hit-or-miss - performance depends on wiring details and circuit loading.  WiFi performance of course also varies - depending on the path between the router and extender, interference from neighbors sharing the spectrum, etc.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@hamslice wrote:

Does anyone have any creative solutions for this?

There is flat ethernet cable that can run along baseboards and under carpet.

You could also try powerline networking, and see if that gives you adequate performance.  Then you could try other locations.  You'd want something with gigabit ethernet ports.  One of the 1000, 1200, or 2000 models here for example: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/ Longer term you'd probably want to run ethernet, but this would get you started.

If you do end up running your own cable inside walls, you'll want to use appropriate cable - plenum grade if you are running in existing ducts, riser grade will work if you are just running in-wall.

My own NAS are in my basement.

Message 2 of 6
hamslice
Aspirant

Thanks again for your help Stephen,

Those were the options I was thinking of - so good to confirm I am on the right track.

Is it also possible to connect the Nas to a second router that uses the same Wifi connection, or is that not a thing?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@hamslice wrote:

You could also use a wifi extender that has an ethernet out.  If you have a mesh (for example Orbi), you can similarly connect the NAS to the ethernet port in the Orbi satellites.

Both approaches can give reasonable performance, but mileage does vary.  Powerline can be hit-or-miss - performance depends on wiring details and circuit loading.  WiFi performance of course also varies - depending on the path between the router and extender, interference from neighbors sharing the spectrum, etc.

Message 4 of 6
hamslice
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen!

Will have a go 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If you already have that second router, many can be configured as a bridge for the existing network and it will work that way.  Setting it up on a different router as a separate network will give you all kinds of grief with the systems accessing it unless they don't need access to anything else.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements