× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo RND2210-100NAS V2 wont update firmware.

RGamble
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo RND2210-100NAS V2 wont update firmware.

Ive had this Readynas duo v2 for quite a few years. I have updated the firmaware in the past using the Remote update feature in the admin dashboard.

Just recently I wanted to upgrade the storage so I picked up 2 4tb harddrives listed on the compatibility page. I Installed them in the NAS and it was only recognizing 2tb. I figured it was a firmware issue, so I attempted to upload the firmware through the remote update. It checks for the update and finds the same firmware version that is already installed, 4.1.16. I installed it once to see if it would change on the next attempt. Same thing happened. I tried to install via local file, version 5.3.13. I hit Upload and verify and It goes through the process and a message pops up after a few minutes stating "Local file upload failed". I tried using the thumb drive utility and utilizing the bootmenu as well as reseting the unit. Tried both with the original drives and new drives.

Any ideas on how to get the firmware updated?

Model: ReadyNASRND2210v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 2TB (2 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

If your NAS runs firmware 4.1.x, it's not a V2, it's a V1, and 5.x and 6x firmware won't run on it.  It's also hardware limited to 2TB drives.  I'd be surprised if you are actually seeing 2TB of each 4TB drive.  Typically, you see only 741GB.

Netgear really messed up by re-using the "V2" designation.  When they already had some Duos and NV+'s out there with "V2" (and even "V3") on the sticker on the bottom, they released an entirely new pair of machines and called them "V2" (and so designated on the front of the unit).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If your NAS runs firmware 4.1.x, it's not a V2, it's a V1, and 5.x and 6x firmware won't run on it.  It's also hardware limited to 2TB drives.  I'd be surprised if you are actually seeing 2TB of each 4TB drive.  Typically, you see only 741GB.

Netgear really messed up by re-using the "V2" designation.  When they already had some Duos and NV+'s out there with "V2" (and even "V3") on the sticker on the bottom, they released an entirely new pair of machines and called them "V2" (and so designated on the front of the unit).

Message 2 of 5
RGamble
Aspirant

ok. this makes perfect sense as to why it wasnt working.

Guess ill buy a newer NAS that can handle the larger drives and utilize the older NAS for something.

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
RGamble
Aspirant

Is it 2tb(2x 1tb drives) total capacity or will it run 4tb total(2x 2tb drives)? Thanks

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

It will run 2x2TB.  That will give you 2TB with XRAID redundancy or 4TB without.  If you choose to go with no redundancy, most recommend you go with one volume per drive rather than one RAID0 volume spanning both.  With one volume that spans two drives, losing one loses everything.

There are some tricks to creating anything but the default XRAID volume, so check the forum or owners' manual before you go that route to avoid frustration.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements