× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV 1+ Hard Drive Compatability

Thed
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV 1+ Hard Drive Compatability

Hi,

One of my four Seagate  (2TB) ST2000DL003-9VT166 seems to be giving up according to a couple of hundred SMART warnings. Can anyone let me know of any disk you can buy today that will work as a replacement ? 

There is a faster spinning Seagate ST2000DM001, anyone knows if that one will work ? I just can't find an updated list from Netgear with approved disks.

Thank you for your help.

/Thomas

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas NV 1+ Hard Drive Compatability

@Thed wrote:

There is a faster spinning Seagate ST2000DM001, anyone knows if that one will work ? I just can't find an updated list from Netgear with approved disks.

They haven't updated the HCL in a very long time (and said that they aren't testing new drives on the end-of-life platforms).

The DM series has a higher than usual failure rate with RAID (though to be fair to Seagate most of the reports on that are about the ST3000DM001 in particular).  I'd still avoid that drive family for RAID.

Instead I'd go with NAS-purposed drives.  The Western Digital WD20EFRX works well in the sparc units.  The 2 TB Seagate IronWolf drive is another option.  I use the WD20EFRX in my duo.  I haven't used the 2 TB Ironwolf, but I have used the 1 TB model in a couple of OS 6 ReadyNAS with no issues.

There's not much point to faster-spinning drives, as the NV+ v1 is limited by its CPU performance.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Thed wrote:

They haven't updated the HCL in a very long time (and said that they aren't testing new drives on the end-of-life platforms).

The DM series has a higher than usual failure rate with RAID (though to be fair to Seagate most of the reports on that are about the ST3000DM001 in particular).  I'd still avoid that drive family for RAID.

Instead I'd go with NAS-purposed drives.  The Western Digital WD20EFRX works well in the sparc units.  The 2 TB Seagate IronWolf drive is another option.  I use the WD20EFRX in my duo.  I haven't used the 2 TB Ironwolf, but I have used the 1 TB model in a couple of OS 6 ReadyNAS with no issues.

There's not much point to faster-spinning drives, as the NV+ v1 is limited by its CPU performance.

Message 2 of 3
Thed
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply !

I'm more than happy to stay away from Seagate I just didn't now how "sensitive" my old NAS was. I'll take your advice and will buy the WD20EFRX to replace my failing Seagate.

Thank you very much for your help !

/Thomas

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements