× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ V2 4 bay questions

BlokeUK
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas NV+ V2 4 bay questions

HERBIEO wrote:
Well i do not have a NV+ v2 i have Duo v2 but its the same specification for the hardware,
Drag and drop between USB 3 Drive connected to NAS and my windows 7 machine
Read avg: 40-45 MB/s and write avg: 35-40 MB/s

Thanks for your reply
Is that USB 3 - USB 3 or USB 3 over USB 2 Win 7?
Message 26 of 35
PapaBear1
Guide

That has to be USB 3 as those speeds are in excess of what USB2 will do. USB2 claims effective throughput of 35MB/s, but 20MB/s is more like it.
Message 27 of 35
BlokeUK
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
That has to be USB 3 as those speeds are in excess of what USB2 will do. USB2 claims effective throughput of 35MB/s, but 20MB/s is more like it.

:shock: I thought USB 3 was 10 x faster than USB 2 :roll:

I would have thought 100 mb+ would have been more like the speeds allowing for the fact that 500MB is only a theoretical maximum and the theoreticals are rarely achieved.

That is not what I would expect for USB 3, I would be want x2 that at least I guess the NV+ V2 uses BOT and not UAS as those speeds are more in line with the older BOT implementation than the newer UAS

See this link for info http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3-uas-turbo,3215.html

Thanks for info anyway PapaBear your replies have been most helpful so far, but I want my decision to be right, this is going to be a decision I am going to have to live with for at least the next 3-5 years
Message 28 of 35
toomanybarts
Aspirant

PapaBear - yeah I have a bootCD with WDIDLE3 on it - I need to borrow a friends PC as I was getting errors - it seems my SATA controller on the host PC is via PCi and not directly on the motherboard - or something like that, I cant remember the exact error, but its a known limitation of WDIDLE3!
One question I have is that you mention disabling the head parking allows the NAS to control it - I have not heard that mentioned before?
If so, then maybe when I do set WDIDLE I should disable it completely?
All other posts seem to suggest using the /s300 switch which would set the timer at 300seconds...
Message 29 of 35
PapaBear1
Guide

toomanybarts - I am not sure about disabling it, I do recall posts about changing the timing. The only WD drives I have in my NAS units are two of the new 1TB Red Labels which were designed to be used in raid boxes, which some one commented that the head parking feature was disabled. I would go with what the other posts said, for I have never personally used the function as I have not needed it.
Message 30 of 35
PapaBear1
Guide

BlokeUK - the claim for the USB3 standard is up to 5 Gigabits per second, which happens to be 5x the speed of a Gigabit network. It is also far faster than the internal throughput of the NAS units, unless you have a rackmount x-86 based unit which is designed for up to 10 Gigabit per second networks. The theoretical limit for a Gigabit network connection is 112 Megabytes per second (1000/8 for the 8 bits per byte) although some of the older Pros, the new Ultra 6 Plus and the new Pro6 have recorded 120MB/s. It's also 67 percent faster than the SATA 3 theoretical max of 3000Mb/s.

Note also the operative words "up to" which covers a speed range of from 0 to 625MB/s (the theoretical max). Just for grins, since I have a USB3 Flashdrive (Patriot XT 32GB) and recently installed a USB3 add in card to my desktop (C2D E6750, so not the fastest). Copying from my Pro6 to my desktop a 2874MB file took 42 seconds for an average of 68MB/s. Copying that same file from my PC to the flash drive was inconsistent, the first time the copy seemed to stall so I killed it and the second time it took 184 seconds for an average of 16 MB/s. I then tried a test folder of a variety of file, 657 in all plus 25 folders for a total of 683 MB. The first try from the Flash to the PC took 13 seconds for an average of 53MB/s and the second time took only 7 seconds for an average of 98 MB/s. I then tried to copy the test folder from my PC back to the Flash and the first trial took 98 seconds for an average of 7 MB/s and the second time took 62 seconds for an average of 11MB/s.

The card on which the flash drive was packaged says "up to 90MB/s Read" but nothing about writing, which is always slower than reading. On the test with the 600+ files and the 25 folders it did seem to bog down in the write.
Message 31 of 35
HERBIEO
Aspirant

BlokeUK wrote:
HERBIEO wrote:
Well i do not have a NV+ v2 i have Duo v2 but its the same specification for the hardware,
Drag and drop between USB 3 Drive connected to NAS and my windows 7 machine
Read avg: 40-45 MB/s and write avg: 35-40 MB/s

Thanks for your reply
Is that USB 3 - USB 3 or USB 3 over USB 2 Win 7?

Its USB 3 connected to Nas across network to win 7
Message 32 of 35
BlokeUK
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
BlokeUK - the claim for the USB3 standard is up to 5 Gigabits per second, which happens to be 5x the speed of a Gigabit network. It is also far faster than the internal throughput of the NAS units, unless you have a rackmount x-86 based unit which is designed for up to 10 Gigabit per second networks. The theoretical limit for a Gigabit network connection is 112 Megabytes per second (1000/8 for the 8 bits per byte) although some of the older Pros, the new Ultra 6 Plus and the new Pro6 have recorded 120MB/s. It's also 67 percent faster than the SATA 3 theoretical max of 3000Mb/s.

Note also the operative words "up to" which covers a speed range of from 0 to 625MB/s (the theoretical max). Just for grins, since I have a USB3 Flashdrive (Patriot XT 32GB) and recently installed a USB3 add in card to my desktop (C2D E6750, so not the fastest). Copying from my Pro6 to my desktop a 2874MB file took 42 seconds for an average of 68MB/s. Copying that same file from my PC to the flash drive was inconsistent, the first time the copy seemed to stall so I killed it and the second time it took 184 seconds for an average of 16 MB/s. I then tried a test folder of a variety of file, 657 in all plus 25 folders for a total of 683 MB. The first try from the Flash to the PC took 13 seconds for an average of 53MB/s and the second time took only 7 seconds for an average of 98 MB/s. I then tried to copy the test folder from my PC back to the Flash and the first trial took 98 seconds for an average of 7 MB/s and the second time took 62 seconds for an average of 11MB/s.

The card on which the flash drive was packaged says "up to 90MB/s Read" but nothing about writing, which is always slower than reading. On the test with the 600+ files and the 25 folders it did seem to bog down in the write.

Thanks 🙂 I didn't realise this was over ethernet too, so makes sense and very acceptable rates in that case too.
Really appreciate all the effort you have made helping me here.

I also found the wdidle3 tip useful, checked my WD20EARX drives and found the LCC very high on them so going to apply that fix too.

Cheers
Message 33 of 35
BlokeUK
Aspirant

HERBIEO wrote:

Its USB 3 connected to Nas across network to win 7

Thanks HERBIEO, I didn't realise that was over network, so those figures make more sense.
Cheers
Message 34 of 35
kcrossley
Aspirant

BlokeUK wrote:
Hello 😄

I am looking to purchase either the ReadyNas NV+ V2 4 bay or the Synology Ds413(j) in the next few days, but I would appreciate some clarification before I make a final decision.

What did you end up purchasing and are you happy with your choice?
Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements