× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ V2 - Best Suited Drive From HCL

readynasdu0
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ V2 - Best Suited Drive From HCL

Hi,

Recently purchased a diskless NV+ V2 and wondered if from the HCL list there are a preferred order of the 2TB drives?

http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82

Weighing up the Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX and Red WD20EFRX - simply as I have a large Amazon voucher which can supplement the green, but unfortunately Amazon don't sell the Red (my experience with returning products to Amazon is positive). But would purchase the Red if the benefits stack up...

Cheers!
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas NV+ V2 - Best Suited Drive From HCL

The Red would be a better choice in my view. WD doesn't recommend its Green drives for RAID use.
Message 2 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Amazon does not stock the WD20EFRX but sells it through a third party (spicy bomb). But you are correct, their published return policy is not as generous as Amazons. Newegg is another good vendor, but they are now out of stock on both the WD20EFRX and the WD30EFRX. It would appear the market place has discovered the red label drives and there is a bit of a lag in the supply chain as Newegg has now been out of the WD30EFRX for well over a week now.
Message 3 of 7
readynasdu0
Aspirant

Thanks both for the advice - based in UK so Newegg ins't an option - fortunately we have ebuyer and dabs which both offer the WD20EFRX drive. As a result, I've used the Amazon vouchers on an APC UPS as I'm now running two NAS devices, it makes sense to cushion them a little.
Message 4 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Always a good idea. I have two NAS plus a computer on one four year old NS1250 (recently replaced the batteries) which gives me about 15 minutes, just about enough time to do an orderly shutdown. I will add a second one once I get a bit caught up.
Message 5 of 7
readynasdu0
Aspirant

2 x 2TB WD Red Drives arrived and installed - NV+ V2 appears fast and all is positive to date with the install of these drives in a driveless ReadyNAS - the new RAIDiator software is a bit of head scratcher at first glace, especially when coming from an original Duo... but now settling in.
Message 6 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

You got your drives just in time. The prices are going through the roof since demand is outstripping the initial supply. Hopefully the situation will resolve itself in a few days.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements