× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas NV+ fit and healthy but locked up

StevenJay
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ fit and healthy but locked up

Hi,

I am not exactly sure which model I have, on the label underneath it has ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 but that is not in the listing. I suspect it is version1 as I have had it a few years. it has 4x 1.5Tb disks resulting in about 5.4Tb of storage.

Most of the important stuff I have backed-up apart from about 3.5Tb of films and TV programs and all my Music and software downloads, but It would be very time consuming to reconstruct all the data into a usable structure again and to rip all those CD's and DVD's all over again.

I was trying to move all the films and Music to a USB disk and so as to not tie up my computer for the couple of days copy time I did it as a Back-up job to the USB disk attached to one of the back rear USB sockets.so it would only be the NAS doing the work. Unfortunately I didn't realise that this would fill up the log space and totally lock up the NAS. I certainly don't remember any warnings about it in the instructions.

When the job failed with a message about downloading the logs I tried to download the logs so I could then delete them but this caused the lock up with no response from the power button to close down. Just "Booting..." in the LCD screen.

I finally closed it down by switching the power to the UPS off so it eventually closed the NAS down when the UPS was nearly finished.

Up to that point I had access with RAIDair 4.3.8 and Frontview loaded showing everything healthy but not responding showing the Blue light indicating that a job was in progress. After restarting however neither RAIDair nor Frontview will work. But I can ping the IP address of the NAS siuccesfully.

I have read on here that some have accessed the OS folder with SSH or Telnet and I tried with PuTTy but it wouldn't connect. I am not a programmer or Techy just a very long term user of computers so happy in Comand Prompts etc. and can follow instructions if laid out clearly. I( am sure I never loaded the SSH adon though unless the instructions would have said to do so.

Obviously the NAS is out of warranty but was behaving well and failed on what is perhaps a major design flaw that should have been highlited in Front view when starting the backup job, to clear logs first.

I know others have solved this problem but there are no descriptions on how they did it other than a comment from a Netgear Techie that logs have been saved and cleared. But I assume that is a very expensive process when out of warranty.

Does anybody have any links to a full answer please.

I am using windows10 64bit and yes I know I should have a full backup, presumably I will have to buy another NAS to do that if I can get these pesky logs cleared but as a pensioner that was not on top of my buying list. The original NAS was a 65th birthday present from my sons. Perhaps I will get another one for my 70th.

Thanks for reading,

Hope somebody can help.

Steve

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StevenJay
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

They got back to me today and appear to have cleared the logs and sorted out the problem and I aparently have all my data back.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Steve

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@StevenJay wrote:

I am not exactly sure which model I have, on the label underneath it has ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 but that is not in the listing. I suspect it is version1 as I have had it a few years. it has 4x 1.5Tb disks resulting in about 5.4Tb of storage.

Probably an NV+ v1. You can confirm that by seeing what firmware it runs (4.1.x is v1). Note the firmware it shipped with is probably on a label.

@StevenJay wrote:

it has 4x 1.5Tb disks resulting in about 5.4Tb of storage.

Normally 4x2TB XRAID would give you that amount of storage. Do you know if you are running RAID-0?  That would explain the discrepancy.  RAID-0 would have required you to manually switch to flexraid as part of the install process.

@StevenJay wrote:

But I assume that is a very expensive process when out of warranty.

Per-incident support should be about $75 USD.  Hopefully they still offer that...  I will see what I can find out from Netgear folks.

BTW, did you register the ReadyNAS?  If so, do you know if your son did?  Support is only available for new units, so you'd need some claim that you are the original owner.

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

I just heard back from Netgear -- the per-incident support is available.  I am sending you a PM with more details (there is a messages link in the upper right of the forum page)

Message 3 of 15
StevenJay
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer StephenB,

I have just checked back on the invoice and yes it is 4x2Tb disks. I probably accepted the default of X-RAID

I can see nothing on the label indicating the firmware. Only the Model ReadyNAS RND 4000 with a small v3 after it

I did register the NAS as the original owner, my sons just paid for it as a birthday present.

Thanks for looking at the 1 hour support charge. If I can find no other solution that is what I will have to do. My problem though is that living in the mountains in rural France I have no Broadband Internet, I rely on Satellite Internet which is about dial-up speed or less: around 0.1 to 0.5 meg so will they be able to access it remotely and fix it within the hour. And an hour telephone call at France Telecom rates to the USA could double the cost. If I know how it works I could possibly take it to a friends house who does have Broadband if a timed conversation is poossible and possibly use Skype to reduce the cost.

I am amazed that a company as good as NetGear haven't come up with a solution to this problem which from the number of questions about it is quite common and obviously caused by an design flaw. They do have the email addresses of all registered owners so could have emailed a notification of a fix or even just a warning about the problem.

Hopefully somebody will know a way round it.

Steve

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Current ReadyNAS models do provide warnings when the OS partition starts getting full.

Your particular model is old, and Netgear no longer develops firmware for it (with a couple of rare exceptions for some critical security fixes).

I think the per-incident approach is better than you trying to fix it on your own.  There's no step-by-step on this, because Netgear begins by analyzing what's really going on, and there is more than one possibility.

FWIW, I think a lot of support is done in Europe (notably Cork). I don't think you'd need to stay on the line with them for the full hour. Of course a solid internet connection is useful for support (though I don't think the speed is that critical, since they are executing shell commands).

Message 5 of 15
StevenJay
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

I appreciate your help and am not having a go at you, I realise my ReadyNAS is old but it was working fine until I tried to use one of it's basic inbuilt functions to backup one of the shares to a USB disk connected to it. Then to download the logs as instructed when the backup failed which is again an inbuilt function. So basically however old it is it is not and has never been fit for purpose because of a very basic flaw which NetGear should have fixed. Just a simple firmware update to put up a message to clear the logs when space was reduced to 50% perhaps.

I realise in the absence of a step by step guide I have no option but to pay for support but I do feel that I have been subjected to a corporate "RansomWare" type demand. Namely "Pay us to fix the problem we caused or lose all your data!".

Rant Over.

So as I have no real option, how do I find out whether they can work with my very slow internet connection or whether I have to take the unit to a friends house who does have a fast connection and also where I have to phone.

I suspect the job would be in a que to be done as and when they get to it. So sitting at a friends house for a couple of days would not be an option really.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The process is that support offered to open a case for you (and I will forward your go-ahead if you want to proceed).  Then you'd call them and can discuss the access details.

Note I don't work for Netgear, so I am not taking this personally at all.

I understand the frustration.  If you want to try shell commands instead, I can PM you some details on how to get access.  But I can't give you a step-by-step, and I don't do direct support myself.  You'd be on your own, and if you make a mistake you could end up needing a factory reset to recovery.  That will wipe your data.

Message 7 of 15
StevenJay
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Sorry not to reply before, my internet has been down. It is so flakey that I can't trust it's reliability while a techie gains access to the NAS, so have permission to use my friends internet which is 10 miles away from my house.

Can you explain how I start this tech help and what the procedure and time scale is please as I obviously have to arrange with my friend.

The obvious fear from them is somebody gaining access to their internet from outside and malware etc.. So any security precautions I should take. Perhaps there is an explanation of the procedure somewhere you can point me to.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Overall, you put the NAS in tech support mode, which allows the Netgear support team to access it remotely.  There's no need to make any changes to your friend's internet security as the NAS makes an outbound connection to Netgear.

The best way to get the answers is for me to put you in touch with support - do I have your permission to do that?

Message 9 of 15
StevenJay
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

Yes please put me in touch with them.

Steve

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

I've sent you a PM, please check the messages link in the upper right.

Message 11 of 15
StevenJay
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I replied to your PM and PM'd the two Netgear contacts but have still heard nothing. How long do they usually take to respond?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

They should have responded by now - I'll pick it up again with them after the US holiday.

Message 13 of 15
StevenJay
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

They got back to me today and appear to have cleared the logs and sorted out the problem and I aparently have all my data back.

Steve

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@StevenJay wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Steve

I'm glad it's resolved.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements