× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6 - Unit Failure

jolo2
Star

ReadyNas Pro 6 - Unit Failure

I've been given a ReadyNas Pro 6 with 6x1Tb NAS drives in it.  I have been considering using it as a home server, primarily to provide backup for the family across the network (Macs and PCs). 

I have not used one of these units before.  If I am going to use it for backup then I will be totally reliant upon it and so I need to guard against any single point of failure.  I imagine the biggest risk is the unit itself failing, since drive failures can be easily sorted out.  So if I use flex-raid Raid 1 backup and the unit fails, I assume I can pull out a disk and mount it in a PC and get my data back that way, since I assume the drives are just some sort of open linux format.  Is that right?

If I'm wrong and the drive format is proprietary, then what do I do if the unit fails outside warranty?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Model: RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@jolo2 wrote:

So if I use flex-raid Raid 1 backup and the unit fails, I assume I can pull out a disk and mount it in a PC and get my data back that way,

If you are running OS 4.2.x firmware, then the system is using software raid, with the ext file system on top of it.

It's possible to convert your NAS to run OS 6 - in which case the file system is BTRFS.  Converting to OS-6 would give you SMB 3 support - which is important, since Microsoft is deprecating SMB 1.

Overall, I'd go with XRAID/RAID-5, and purchase a USB drive that you can use to back up the NAS.  Generally people who are new to NAS underestimate the amount of storage they will need.  XRAID/RAID-5 will give you 5 TB of space, three RAID-1 volumes would only give you 3 TB.

Message 2 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

While it may be a bit daunting to somebody new to the ReadyNAS world, I also suggest you take a look at converting to OS6 before you get started (assuning the previous owner didn't already).  Bumping the memory to at least 2GB is recommended when doing that.  And it's important that you have the most current BIOS loaded beforehand.  You can find threads about all those here in the forum.  But the search function is really poor -- you'll have better luck with Google.  Besides getting an up to date operating system (which supports SMB3), another big advantage this gives you is the ability to move the drives, with data intact, to a newer ReadyNAS.  If you stick with 4.2.x, the data has to be offloaded and restored because of the different file systems.

The most typical failure mechansim of the Pro6 (and really most NASes) is the power supply.  It's not a design flaw, we just tend to keep NASes longer than PC's.  There are suitable replacements available from sources other than Netgear.  And a standard ATX12V supply can be used externally in a pinch (typically just for data recovery).

You say you will use the NAS for "backup", but talk of it as if it's really "archive".  Backup means you have another copy somewhere, be it on the machine backed up, a USB drive connected to the NAS, or another NAS.  And backup is important.  Besides hardware failures, other things can cause your array to become unreadable.  if you read the forum, you could come to think it happens often.  Not so.  Just remember that most never come here until they have a problem.

Message 3 of 30
jolo2
Star

Thanks for these really helpful replies. I have already updated to os6 and the system defaulted to X-raid/raid 5.  A few questions arise.

first, I’m uncomfortable with raid 5, so perhaps you can reassure me. If 1 drive dies then there’s a long resync process with a new drive during which time there’s no redundancy, so if a drive dies in that period, total data loss. That’s a scenario I want to make impossible. With raid 1 I should be able to pull, out a working drive that’s paired with a failed drive and copy the data off quickly. I’m thinking that’s a valuable feauture of raid 1? However, while I’m familiar with ext from Linux use years ago, I’m not familiar with BTRFS. Can a windows or Linux box be made to read BTRFS from one drive taken from a raid 1 pair?

second, you talk about upgrading memory and - perhaps - having a spare power supply. I’d love to do those  things. However from searches it seems the memory required is both legacy and very specific. Do you know precisely what sticks are required to upgrade the memory? That would help. Also, where could i source a replacement psu, which is also no doubt legacy at this point?

also as regards hardware I saw that some people have upgraded to a quad processor. Is this worthwhile?

as for backup, I would be grateful for more help on this. My thought was to create shares for each machine with each connected to windows backup or time machine as appropriate. If they are raid 1 volumes then I have duplicate backups. Why would I need a further backup on a usb drive?

A related question: if I did run an x-raid / raid 5 then over time I would increase the capacity, so would I be able to get a backup usb drive that is as large as the entire array?

hope these questions are clear. Thanks for great help. 

Message 4 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS drives are not in a format your PC can read directly, so your "pull it and read the data" plan is flawed in that regard.  You can always go with RAID6, with two redundant drives.  That still gives you more storage than 3 RAID1's and also keeps you from having to manaully balance the space between separate volumes.

Memory is not as piicky as some would make you think.  I've upgraded units with several brands of PC2-6400 SIMM (full size).  It's only expensive if you choose to go to 8GB, as 4TB 1x8 DDR2 memory is rare (because 32-bit PC's of the day couldn't use more than 4GB and had at least two memory slots).  I've bought GSKILL and OCZ CL4 from eBay and it worked fine.  Just don't get the OCZ with the tall heat sink.

Power supply is a standard SFX supply, but it does need three 4-pin Molex connectors and an extra long main 24-pin cable (usually obtained via a 6" extender).  The original is a 300W, but does have more 12CV available (for the drives) than many 300W.  I recommend you go with a 350 or 400W.  I typically move the 90° Molex from the original supply to the new one, which makes for a cleaner install as well as letting me have 3 by replacing SATA connections with them.  While the original Seasonic supply is no longer available, the SFX form factor was used in some small-profile PC's and is still readily available.  Some have a fan offset from the center, whihc others have claimed was no issue.  I've seen some that claim to be "SFX" but have the fan on the side with the AC power input and switch.  that's not true SFX and won't work right.

A quad processor is overkill and I know of nobody who did it and stuck with it.  They generate too much heat and, unless you are willing to cut a hole in the side of your NAS, the heat sink isn't upgradable..  If you have the older Pro Business Edition or Pro Pioneer, then you have a Pentium E2160 @ 1.80GHz.  That's pretty slow and upgrading to a Core2Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz is pretty easy (assuming that's in your skill set since you mentioned it) and they are cheap on eBay.  It has the same TDP as the original.  The (slightly) newer Pro6 has a Pentium E5300 @ 2.60GHz, and IMHO you don't get enough of a boost going to the Core2 to bother.  You can check what processor you have in dmesg.log in the log .zip file you can download from the NAS.  Note that I believe the latest BIOS is required for the E7500.  You can go up to an E6600 with the older BIOS. .

RAID is not backup.  It provides continuous access through a drive failure, but anything taking out the NAS could also take out all the drives.  You could use cloud backup if restoration time is not a concern.  Of course, fire, flood, and theft aren't protected against with local backup, either.

You could use a USB chassis that has built-in RAID for your backup if you are worried about growing the backup.  Unfortunately, the Pro has only USB2, so it's pretty slow.  You can actually go faster via Ethernet to a backup on a USB3 equipped PC.  So if your storage and backup needs grow, you may want to get a faster NAS and relegate the Pro to backup duty.

Message 5 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@jolo2 wrote:

first, I’m uncomfortable with raid 5, so perhaps you can reassure me. If 1 drive dies then there’s a long resync process with a new drive during which time there’s no redundancy, so if a drive dies in that period, total data loss. That’s a scenario I want to make impossible. With raid 1 I should be able to pull, out a working drive that’s paired with a failed drive and copy the data off quickly. 

Either way, the main vulnerability is that if two drives fail you have total data loss.  All things being equal, the resync period will be longer with RAID-5.  But the resync won't be that long with 6x1TB drives.

And there are other causes of loss - an electrical surge (nearby lightning strke) can take out all the drives (and the chassis) simultaneously for example.  

However, it is true that RAID-5 is less robust and that data recovery is harder.  But I back up all the data on the NAS - so loss of a volume is just an inconvenience.  I use XRAID since it is convenient to be able to expand the volume, and most of the time a disk failure is easily dealt with. 

@jolo2 wrote:

A related question: if I did run an x-raid / raid 5 then over time I would increase the capacity, so would I be able to get a backup usb drive that is as large as the entire array?

It depends on how much you increase the capaciity.  But you can get 10 TB USB backup drives (around $200).  And you don't actually need each drive to back up the full array.  Personally I do share by share backup.

@jolo2 wrote:

If they are raid 1 volumes then I have duplicate backups. 

RAID isn't really a backup, and the mirrored disk won't always help you.  For instance, if you accidentally delete some data, it immediately disappears from both disks.  Or, the file system can be corrupted due to unexpected power loss or hardware issues in the chassis.   There's also disaster recovery (lightning, flood, fire, theft, ...).  You should consider that risk when as you sort out a backup plan.  Personally I use Crashplan cloud backup for disaster recovery.

@jolo2 wrote:

However from searches it seems the memory required is both legacy and very specific. Do you know precisely what sticks are required to upgrade the memory? That would help. Also, where could i source a replacement psu, which is also no doubt legacy at this point?

I don't think the Pro is a fussy about memory as the NV+ v1.  

I upgraded mine with Patriot 2x4 GB RAM some years ago ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZG20C6/ ) but that is ridiculously priced now.  But any DDR2 800 PC2 6400 RAM should work.

As far as the CPU goes, I haven't upgraded mine.  If you are simply using the NAS for backup, I wouldn't bother.  It would be more beneficial if you were running apps (for instance plex).

@Sandshark is a good source of info on hardware upgrades.

Message 6 of 30
jolo2
Star

This continues to be very useful feedback and I am slowly getting to grips with how to make the most of this.  I'll certainly do share by share backup and will stick with Raid 5/X-raid.  Disaster recovery is a good point, though I may take that risk at this point, given that critical files will also be on OneDrive, which provides some (if not complete) reassurance.  I'd prefer not to have a further paid-for service at this stage.

As for upgrading the machine, I will upgrade memory.  Does this look OK?  Are there any furhter specs I should check before buying?

KB_4GB_2X2GB_PC2_6400_800_DIMM
RAM Size 4 GB
Computer Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM
Voltage

1.8 volts

The processor is an E5300 @1.6Ghz.  I will be running plex.  Will that CPU cause any issues?

I have what might be an issue with the CPU fan.  It runs at 1750rpm (according to the web interface) no matter what I do.  If set the performance to quiet/balanced/cool, the system fan spins up and down, but CPU is always at 1750 and is obviously drawing in plenty of air.  Temps look a bit odd, too. CPU reports as 35C (95F) and Sytem at 47C (117F).  Shouldn't the CPU be hotter than the system?  Note there is no load on the system at present.  It's just idling. I'm wondering if this is all normal, or whether the CPU fan should show a variable speed.  I'd be pleased if it would go slower at idle to keep the box a bit quieter.

Message 7 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@jolo2 wrote:

but CPU is always at 1750 and is obviously drawing in plenty of air. 

My Pro-6 currently says 2163 (running 4.2.31 firmware), so I think it does run fast.

@jolo2 wrote:

Temps look a bit odd, too. CPU reports as 35C (95F) and Sytem at 47C (117F). 

My CPU reads 23C and the system reads 55C.  I agree it's a bit odd for the CPU to be lower, but it always is.

FWIW, my CPU fan is the original one (though I have a new one on the shelf if I need it).  I replaced the system fan with a Noctura one a while ago (it sounded like a fan bearing was starting to wear).

@jolo2 wrote:

Does this look OK?  Are there any furhter specs I should check before buying?

240 pin of course. I think yours will be fine, though I defer to @Sandshark 

@jolo2 wrote:

The processor is an E5300 @1.6Ghz.  I will be running plex.  Will that CPU cause any issues?

I don't run plex on the pro, but I expect you won't be able to do much real-time video transcoding with the Pro. Though you might not need that (depending on whether you plan to use Plex to watch videos away from home).

Straight streaming with plex will work fine.

Message 8 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

The spec on the RAM came out looking a little strange, but looks right.

I agree with @StephenB , the Pentium E5300 is not likely to be up to the task of running Plex with any real-time video transcoding.  The Core2Duo E7600 would be, though probably not for 4K content.

The CPU fan on some models was a three-pin one plugged into the daughterboard instead of the standard 4-pin one into the main board, and I don't think OS6 accounts for those units.  But I think the fan speed shows up as zero in that case.  CPU temperature can be wildly wrong, as it relies on a transducer inside the CPU that's notoriously not well calibrated.   That fan speed does seem high for a CPU that temperature.  But I guess if it really is going that fast, it would keep the CPU nice and cool.  And the system could run hotter, especially if you have 7200RPM drives.  I don't have any active Pro6's to check my temps.  Plus, mine could be a bit higher here in sunny Florida.

Message 9 of 30
jolo2
Star

Overnight the ReadyNas has developed a problem.  I changed the system fan 48 hours ago for a Noctua, since I'm trying to keep things quiet.  It uses the same 3-pin fan socket on the daughter board that the Crown was previously plugged into.  When I installed the fan everything worked just as before and the system ran happily for 24 hours.

At 4:00am this morning the system reported that the fan was at 0rpm.  Half an hour later it shut down as temps began to rise.

Checking this morning, the fan spins up as you would expect when I turn the system on.  It runs for a while (5-10mins) then stops.  The warning is then issued and so I shut the system down myself.

The system was set to "balanced", but changing to "quiet" or "cool" doesn't change things.

Any ideas?!

Message 10 of 30
StephenB
Guru

What fan did you install?  I went with an NF-S12AFLX.  Maybe try putting the stock fan back for now, and see if the behavior changes back.

Message 11 of 30
jolo2
Star

@StephenB wrote:

What fan did you install?  I went with an NF-S12AFLX.  Maybe try putting the stock fan back for now, and see if the behavior changes back.

Thanks.  Its a NF-A12x25FLX (3-pin)

I took the side panel off this morning and just checked the connection to the fan, unplugging and replugging.  It seems secure, with a reassuring click as it goes into place.

I'm reluctant to switch the fan back because I used the rubber gromits to attach it to the unit rather than screws and I suspect that if I remove it now I will need to replace those.

I'm monitoring the unit today.  It's been up for three hours now without a problem and I'll see if the fault recurs.  It seems there's nothing wrong with the Noctua.

One thing I'm wondering is whether the unit might reduce the voltage with the intention of slowing the fan, but in fact the volts are then low enough to stop it.  Then - for some reason - the volts don't come back up again sufficiently to get it moving again.

Puzzling.

Message 12 of 30
jolo2
Star

An interesting development this morning.  The unit ran perfectly for 24 hours until I returned to it this morning.  At which time, the logs show:

Apr 18, 2019 08:31:38

System: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm).
Apr 18, 2019 08:30:50

System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Apr 18, 2019 08:30:07

System: ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) was restarted.
Apr 18, 2019 00:00:12

Snapshot: Snapshot c_1555545610 was successfully created for share or LUN vpnserver.

I don't know why readynasd restarted at that moment (I did log in to see how it was behaving prior to the fan stopping, but didn't change anything) or why the fan then stopped.  Temperatures rising and the fan shows no sign of re-starting, so I restarted.  Fan also restarted.

Given this second failure I'm tempted to put the Crown back in, but I would prefer to understand what's going on, especially since others seem to have had success with the same fan.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Message 13 of 30
StephenB
Guru

Was the Crown also connected to the I/O card?

In some early Pro-6 there was an issue that required moving the fan connector to the system board.  That did require a modification to to the configuration files (not sure how you'd do that with OS-6 though).

Message 14 of 30
jolo2
Star

Thanks, yes, I plugged the Noctua in to the socket the Crown was previously connected to.  On the I/O card, furthest from the back of the unit.

Message 15 of 30
Deal
Tutor

I'm having the exact same problem with the system fan stopping (0 rpm) and the system temp rising until the unit restarts. Sometimes it goes for hours without a restart, and sometimes it restarts within an hour. It's strange because when I first did the upgrade to OS6 (from OS4.2.31 a bit more than 2 weeks ago) there was no issue with the system fan. But I've inspected the system log and seen where the ReadyNASOS has restarted several times during the latter part of that 2 week window. I have a ReadyNAS Pro BE. I wonder did you find a solution to the fan problem? BTW, I also have the same Noctua fan as system fan, which I replaced a few weeks ago.

Message 16 of 30
jolo2
Star

Message 17 of 30
Deal
Tutor

That work-around worked for me too! Thank you! And I thought that would end the frequent auto-reboots that I've been having on the NAS for several days now. But it didn't. I don't see anything that would explain why the unit is rebooting automatically, sometimes only a few hours in between reboots. But I also am not sure how to troubleshoot it to find out more info. Any help would be appreciated!

David

Message 18 of 30
Sandshark
Sensei

If nothing in the log says why it shut down, you just see a message that it booted, that could be a power supply issue.

Message 19 of 30
Deal
Tutor

Thanks @Sandshark. I'm going to take a closer look at the log to see if I can spot anything. But I'm not sure I'm savvy enough with Linux to spot the cause unless it's obvious. BTW, I've looked at the system.log file. I wonder if that's the log that would contain any error that would shutdown the NAS? Or are there other logs that I should be looking at. Also, seems like I recall that there's a way to increase the logging level so that more events are logged. I don't know how to do that, but is it possible/desirable/needed to determine if something else is shutting the NAS down?

Message 20 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Deal wrote:

BTW, I've looked at the system.log file. I wonder if that's the log that would contain any error that would shutdown the NAS? 

system.log is the right place to look - also kernel.log. Errors might show up in other logs too, but it'd be surprising if they showed up in them but not in system.log or kernel.log.

Message 21 of 30
Deal
Tutor

@Sandshark 

So far it's looking like there's no explanation in the logs for the shutdowns. Although I did find more information in the readynasd log that confirmed that the shutdown was not expected. Below is a snapshot of the entries:

Oct 06 00:00:08 NAS readynasd[3224]: Snapshot c_1570334406 was successfully created for share or LUN Videos.
Oct 06 01:00:08 NAS readynasd[3224]: Snapshot c_1570338008 was successfully created for share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 01:32:37 NAS readynasd[3224]: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2019_10_04__01_00_27 from share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 02:00:09 NAS readynasd[3224]: Snapshot c_1570341609 was successfully created for share or LUN Shared.
-- Reboot --
Oct 06 02:34:19 NAS readynasd[3214]: readynasd log started
Oct 06 02:34:20 NAS readynasd[3214]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
Oct 06 02:34:29 NAS readynasd[3214]: Last run started at 1570321945 was aborted
Oct 06 02:34:29 NAS readynasd[3214]: Detect abnormal shutdown of readynasd and child without core
Oct 06 02:34:29 NAS readynasd[3214]: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Oct 06 02:34:31 NAS readynasd[3214]: Setting min fan speed override to 1500.
Oct 06 02:34:31 NAS readynasd[3214]: Using fan mode: cool
Oct 06 02:34:39 NAS readynasd[3214]: NetworkStats bond0 failed: ERROR: '/run/readynasd/stats/network_bond0_pkts.rrd' is too small (should be 1168864 bytes)
Oct 06 02:34:43 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2019_10_04__02_00_27 from share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 02:35:14 NAS readynasd[3214]: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Oct 06 03:00:13 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot c_1570345212 was successfully created for share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 03:34:43 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2019_10_04__03_00_27 from share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 04:00:14 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot c_1570348814 was successfully created for share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 04:34:44 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2019_10_04__04_00_28 from share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 05:00:14 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot c_1570352414 was successfully created for share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 05:34:45 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2019_10_04__05_00_28 from share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 06:00:15 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot c_1570356014 was successfully created for share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 06:34:45 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2019_10_04__06_00_29 from share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 07:00:15 NAS readynasd[3214]: Snapshot c_1570359615 was successfully created for share or LUN Shared.
-- Reboot --
Oct 06 07:45:03 NAS readynasd[3215]: readynasd log started
Oct 06 07:45:04 NAS readynasd[3215]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
Oct 06 07:45:13 NAS readynasd[3215]: Last run started at 1570343669 was aborted
Oct 06 07:45:13 NAS readynasd[3215]: Detect abnormal shutdown of readynasd and child without core
Oct 06 07:45:13 NAS readynasd[3215]: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Oct 06 07:45:15 NAS readynasd[3215]: Setting min fan speed override to 1500.
Oct 06 07:45:15 NAS readynasd[3215]: Using fan mode: cool
Oct 06 07:45:22 NAS readynasd[3215]: NetworkStats bond0 failed: ERROR: '/run/readynasd/stats/network_bond0_pkts.rrd' is too small (should be 1168864 bytes)
Oct 06 07:45:27 NAS readynasd[3215]: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2019_10_04__07_00_16 from share or LUN Shared.
Oct 06 07:45:58 NAS readynasd[3215]: ReadyNASOS background service started.

The system log just says Restarted ReadyNASOS, but leaves out the  abnormal shutdown message.

If the power supply is the issue, I wonder if you'd have a suggestion on what to replace it with. I believe I read in these forums that the original PS is no longer available, but don't recall where I read it.

Message 22 of 30
Deal
Tutor

The corresponding system.log entries for the same time period are below. I don't see anything obvious as the cause of shutdown. If you do, please point it out to me. Thx

Oct 06 01:30:52 NAS apache_access[3610]: 192.168.10.102 "POST /dbbroker HTTP/1.1" 401
Oct 06 01:31:36 NAS apache_access[3610]: Suppressed 2 duplicate messages
Oct 06 01:31:36 NAS apache_access[3610]: ::1 "OPTIONS * HTTP/1.0" 200
Oct 06 01:32:37 NAS dbus[3012]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.Snapper' (using servicehelper)
Oct 06 01:32:37 NAS dbus[3012]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.Snapper'
Oct 06 01:34:19 NAS clamd[3571]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 01:41:08 NAS connmand[3039]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.001177 sec
Oct 06 01:44:20 NAS clamd[3571]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 01:54:20 NAS clamd[3571]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 01:58:12 NAS connmand[3039]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.003082 sec
Oct 06 02:00:09 NAS dbus[3012]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.Snapper' (using servicehelper)
Oct 06 02:00:09 NAS dbus[3012]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.Snapper'
Oct 06 02:04:20 NAS clamd[3571]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 02:14:20 NAS clamd[3571]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 02:15:16 NAS connmand[3039]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.004387 sec
Oct 06 02:17:01 NAS CRON[14439]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Oct 06 02:17:01 NAS CRON[14440]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Oct 06 02:17:01 NAS CRON[14439]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Oct 06 02:24:20 NAS clamd[3571]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
-- Reboot --
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS rsyncd[2891]: rsyncd version 3.1.3 starting, listening on port 873
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS cron[2894]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS cron[2894]: (CRON) INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS wsdd2[2959]: starting.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS mdadm[2994]: NewArray event detected on md device /dev/md0
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS mdadm[2994]: NewArray event detected on md device /dev/md1
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 84) and group 'avahi' (GID 84).
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: avahi-daemon 0.6.32 starting up.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS mdadm[2994]: NewArray event detected on md device /dev/md127
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Successfully called chroot().
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Loading service file /services/frontview.service.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Loading service file /services/nut.service.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Network interface enumeration completed.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Server startup complete. Host name is NAS.local. Local service cookie is 3531610400.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Service "NAS" (/services/nut.service) successfully established.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS avahi-daemon[2952]: Service "ReadyNAS Administration on NAS" (/services/frontview.service) successfully established.
Oct 06 02:34:17 NAS connmand[3027]: Connection Manager version 1.35
Oct 06 02:34:18 NAS sshd[3074]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Oct 06 02:34:18 NAS sshd[3074]: Server listening on :: port 22.
Oct 06 02:34:18 NAS connmand[3027]: Checking loopback interface settings
Oct 06 02:34:18 NAS connmand[3027]: System hostname is NAS
Oct 06 06:46:27 NAS clamd[3663]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 06:47:01 NAS CRON[7156]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Oct 06 06:47:01 NAS CRON[7157]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly ))
Oct 06 06:47:01 NAS CRON[7156]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Oct 06 06:51:58 NAS connmand[3027]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.003057 sec
Oct 06 06:56:27 NAS clamd[3663]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 07:00:15 NAS dbus[3006]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.Snapper' (using servicehelper)
Oct 06 07:00:15 NAS dbus[3006]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.Snapper'
Oct 06 07:06:27 NAS clamd[3663]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 07:09:02 NAS connmand[3027]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.008210 sec
Oct 06 07:16:27 NAS clamd[3663]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
Oct 06 07:17:01 NAS CRON[7430]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Oct 06 07:17:01 NAS CRON[7431]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Oct 06 07:17:01 NAS CRON[7430]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Oct 06 07:26:06 NAS connmand[3027]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.000448 sec
Oct 06 07:26:27 NAS clamd[3663]: SelfCheck: Database status OK.
-- Reboot --
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS mdadm[2887]: NewArray event detected on md device /dev/md0
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS mdadm[2887]: NewArray event detected on md device /dev/md1
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS cron[2889]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS cron[2889]: (CRON) INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS mdadm[2887]: NewArray event detected on md device /dev/md127
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS wsdd2[2899]: starting.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 84) and group 'avahi' (GID 84).
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: avahi-daemon 0.6.32 starting up.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS rsyncd[2953]: rsyncd version 3.1.3 starting, listening on port 873
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Successfully called chroot().
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Loading service file /services/frontview.service.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Loading service file /services/nut.service.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Network interface enumeration completed.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Server startup complete. Host name is NAS.local. Local service cookie is 1153763530.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Service "NAS" (/services/nut.service) successfully established.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS avahi-daemon[2897]: Service "ReadyNAS Administration on NAS" (/services/frontview.service) successfully established.
Oct 06 07:45:01 NAS dbus[2971]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1'
Oct 06 07:45:02 NAS connmand[3053]: Connection Manager version 1.35
Oct 06 07:45:02 NAS sshd[3070]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Oct 06 07:45:02 NAS sshd[3070]: Server listening on :: port 22.
Oct 06 07:45:02 NAS connmand[3053]: Checking loopback interface settings
Oct 06 07:45:02 NAS connmand[3053]: System hostname is NAS
Message 23 of 30
Deal
Tutor

A couple questions about logs.

1. Anyone know what log file provides the log entries that you see on the log tab in the web interface on OS6?
  2. Is there a log for the power supply that monitors power usage, or errors or warnings for the power supply?
  3. Is there a way to increase the level of detail captured in the system log? Like perhaps a debug mode? How is this enabled?

Thanks

David

Message 24 of 30
Deal
Tutor

One more question about logs.

Some logs seem to capture only 1 day's activity, and some capture only a few days. Is there a setting in OS6 to make the logs retain history over a longer period of time? This might help with analyzing the cause of the automatic reboots I've been experiencing.

Thanks

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements