× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6

spiderman1
Guide

ReadyNas Pro 6

Hi fellows,

I recently did a firmware upgrade to my Pro 6 to 6.9.5. Today, while I was powering on the nas, the UPS unit failed and the nas went down.  I have now connected  it to the main power supply. Unfortunately, when I now try boot up the nas, it remains stuck in boot-up mode. As a workaround, I wanted to do an OS re-install, however, it does not let me select the reset menus as they never appear while holding down the reset button. 

By the way, I also have readynas pro with the same OS (6.9.5), could I swap the Pro 6 volume to do a backup on an external hard disk unit and then try to do a factory reset?

Any ideas?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You can try to boot the Pro-6 volume in the Pro, but the issue is likely on disks.  If so, it won't boot in the Pro-6 either.

Message 2 of 13
spiderman1
Guide

I'll try to swap the disks as see what happens. If it is a disk issue, what do you suggest I do?

Many thanks.

Message 3 of 13
spiderman1
Guide

I have now swapped the volume from the Pro 6 to the Pro. The Pro 6 volumes works perfectly. When I put the Pro 6 volume back in the Pro 6 box and turn on, I see the Readynas wording, however, I do not see the incremental bar lines appear signifying OS boot up.

I have a suspicion that the Pro 6 firmware is broken. Is there a way that I can re-install the firmware without the volume as the backside reset button to access the menus does not work. Would I do this using a USB key?

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@spiderman1 wrote:

I have a suspicion that the Pro 6 firmware is broken. Is there a way that I can re-install the firmware without the volume as the backside reset button to access the menus does not work. Would I do this using a USB key?

Try installing a blank (unpartitioned) scratch disk, and see if does a factory install.  You can zero a disk using several tools, including Western Digital's Lifeguard and Seagate's Seatools.  You can also delete the partitions using Windows Disk Manager (which calls them "volumes" btw).

As far as the root cause goes - it is possible that the PSU is only delivering 5 volts - the LCD will be functional in that case, but the disks aren't getting the voltage they need.

Message 5 of 13
spiderman1
Guide

I have now tried to get the nas up by doing a factory install using a signle unpartitioned zeroed disk as suggested. The Pro 6 still displays remains fixed at the Readynas splash screen. 

Would this be a sufficient enough indicator that the Pro 6's PSU has malfunctioned?

If so, what PSU should I purchase for the Pro 6? Would a Seasonic SFD 300w PSU that I had purchased for my old Pro be compatible? Would you or any other fellows on the forum also be able to suggest a compatilble PSU other than the Seasonic, as it is difficult to find nowadays either on North America if not European websites.

Many thanks again. 

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@spiderman1 wrote:

Would this be a sufficient enough indicator that the Pro 6's PSU has malfunctioned?

I think it could also be a failure of the system board.  @Sandshark might have some thoughts on how to isolate to the PSU.

Though since you have one on hand, you could could potentially just try it.  If you have extension cables, you can try it outside the case to start.

@spiderman1 wrote:

Would a Seasonic SFD 300w PSU that I had purchased for my old Pro be compatible?

Yes, and it's good that you have one, since they aren't available anymore.  You might need a 4 inch 24 pin ATX extension to get it to fit.

Message 7 of 13
spiderman1
Guide

I could try using the Pro Seasonic PSU on the Pro 6, however, I would like to get Sandshark's thoughts regarding how isolate a  mainboard issue you had mentioned before doing a PSU swap.

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

The "ReadyNAS" banner appears even if just the +5V is present.  More often, it's the +5VSB or +12 that fail, so a bad PSU is definately still a strong possibility.  Since you have a spare, the easiest isolation is just try it.  You can plug it in without fully installing it just to check that that fixes it.

There is a very small chance that something else is wrong and it takes the second supply with it.  You may want to try just powering up without the drives and see if RAIDar sees it with "No Disks" status before installing the drives.  Then, once it all works (and you have the connector extension, if you don't already), you can close it up if it works.

If it failed while on (which is rare) rather than at power-up, it may have corrupted your volume.  Hopefully, not beyond the self-repair capability.

Message 9 of 13
spiderman1
Guide

I have already swapped the pro 6 volume into the pro and everything works perfectly.

Now, before I go about pulling the PSU from the Pro I would like to say that the Pro 6 ethernet connections fail to activate (flashing lights) while in boot-up.

This leads me to believe that it is most likely a PSU issue. I have also been successful in powering the Pro 6 with a UPS, however,  it still fails to go past the Readynas splash screen.

In terms of using Raidar to identify whether it can see disks, if the nics are down, then, this will not be possible I imagine.

At this point, I am thinking of buying a new PSU, however, the season ss-sfd 300 watt model is no where to be found. I have found this make on eBay 

I wonder if this could do? Moreover, I would greatly appreciate if you fellows could suggest another compatible model that can be used on the Pro 6?
Message 10 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

There are many suitable SFX supplies.  I don't know about in the UK, but that's a rather high price for the USA.  It looks like somebody has done the work for you finding a supply with a long enough cable and installing 90° Molex connectors (which aren't really a necessity, but some supplies don't have the required 3 4-pin Molex.  If you are willing (or need to) pay for that, then it should work.

When you say you have powered it up, is the power button working?  The NIC and power button circuits are powered by +5VSB which, as I stated, is a typical failure of the power supply.  But I think it might power on when plugged in even with +5VSB not working.  The "SB" stands for "StandBy", and is on all the time to alllow the button or WoL to turn on the unit.  So, even on a unit that's powered off a lot, +5VSB sees a lot of on time.

Message 11 of 13
spiderman1
Guide

Yes, I have been able to power up the Pro 6 via the power button on the front panel.  Should still try to see if Raidar sees the nas without the volume in place?

As to other SFX supplies, other than the one I had pointed out, could you be so kind as to suggest alternatives?

Many thanks for now.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Other options that have been used by other posters are the Enermax Revolution SFX650w and the Corsair SF600. 

@Sandshark suggested the Silverstone SST45SF-V3 450W a while back, but that was based on reviewing it's specs, not on personal experience installing it.  It's less expensive than the other two (likely related to the lower wattage).

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements