× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas RN102 has no power but usb does

blushark
Aspirant

ReadyNas RN102 has no power but usb does

So I got home from vacation and my ReadyNas RN10223D was powered off. I tried everything, but I could to get it to turn on...no lights anywhere and no fan. I swapped out another ReadyNas power supply brick plug and still did not work. The only thing that works is the usb for light power (i.e. charging head phones).

Is there something inside the Chassis that I can easily replace or can I find a similar unit I can just buy and insert my current drives and have access to my drives? I have a mirrored RAID-1 set up for the two drives. 

If I can't just buy a similar or exact model, is there software out there that allows me to access the drive to read and transfer the data off to another storage source?

I know the drives are good b/c I plugged in one of the dries to an external HDD drive bay and pulled it up in the Disk management of Windows Computer Management configs. I could see the volume and it showed all three partitions as healthy, but I could not assign it a drive letter to pull in up in windows explorer. I have been meaning to upgrade to a new NAS machine, but just been lazy about it. I know this model RN10223D goes back to 2013 and I was on borrowed time.

I have a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks for any help or guidance on this.

Model: RN10223D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas RN102 has no power but usb does

@blushark wrote:

I swapped out another ReadyNas power supply brick plug and still did not work.

What model ReadyNAS did the second brick come from?

@blushark wrote:

can I find a similar unit I can just buy and insert my current drives and have access to my drives?

The disks can be directly migrated to any OS-6 ReadyNAS.

@blushark wrote:

I could see the volume and it showed all three partitions as healthy, but I could not assign it a drive letter to pull in up in windows explorer.

That is normal, because Windows doesn't include support for mdadm RAID or the BTRFS file system.

However, there are open-source packages for both mdadm and btrfs that you could try.

Message 2 of 6
blushark
Aspirant

how do I konw if its a mdadm RAID or the BTRFS file system?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@blushark wrote:

how do I konw if its a mdadm RAID or the BTRFS file system?

It's both.  mdadm RAID creates a virtual disk, which holds the BTRFS file system.

Message 4 of 6
blushark
Aspirant

ok so I have to install both and start with the mdadm RAID first?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

While I know others have used these packages on their Windows PCs with success, personally I've only run mdadm and btrfs on linux.

You do need to install both.   But I think you can just run btrfs.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements