× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas RN2120v2 TFTP_REQ

raelriggs
Aspirant

ReadyNas RN2120v2 TFTP_REQ

Hi, 

i have had this ReadyNas RN2120v2 for some time, about a year ago i tried on this forum to get help to fix the issues i am having with it, to be honest i ended up just boxing it up while i moved house and a year has passed by. 

while im under covid lockdown i thought i would try and get this thing working. 

my original thread a year ago https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN-2120-v2-is-stuck-in-TFTP-REQ-mod... details the problem.

to recap. i was having problems with the NAS not updating the firmware when ever a new version came out. 

i removed it from use and replaced it with another NAS to give me time to work on it, 

the NAS now has new (used but unpartitioned) hard drives installed as a proof on concept before i by decent hard drives i want to see it working!

as can be seen from the previous post the error status is TFTP_REQ 

the NAS only responds to the telnet on port 23 and i can login as the root user, and can issue basic commands, 

my issue is, none of the boot options does anything, they all attempt to but fail to make any changes, so im left with telnet being my only method to comumicate with the NAS, i dont know what commands i need to enter to get the device to reinstall the OS from the usb memory key installed, 

i also dont know the exact syntax of the commands to use. 

i have been able to boot the NAS in all of the boot modes including Tech Support mode, raidar then gives me a code i asume to give to a tech support member. 

i have found in the forums another case of this occuring where the result was "tech support logged in an fixed it" i dont have a service package, the NAS is now end of life and im not sure how i get them to have a look at fixing it for me. 

does any one know what i can do to get this NAS working again, 

it seems a shame to get rid of perfectly good hardware because of a software problem.

any help would be apreciated. 

Regards

Raelriggs

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas RN2120v2 TFTP_REQ

Did you try the USB recovery procedure I suggested last year?

Message 2 of 4
raelriggs
Aspirant

Hi Yes, i have tried using a number of differnt USB keys incase there was a incompatability.

the process starts, the disks do a self check, then nothing happens. 

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

I recently had this happen on a converted RD5200.  Since the flash in that unit is a removable USB stick and I had a backup, I re-imaged it and tried again, with the same result.  So, I tried the USB recovery, and it worked. Others have reported similar results, so I think you just need to figure out how to get a completed USB recovery.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to determine exactly what went wrong with the update.  But I have the capability of trying again just by using another USB stick imaged with what failed before.  And I'm concerned that there may be something unique on an RD5200 in general, or just mine, that will cause this to happen again, though that's not really your problem.  Oddly, my converted RN4200V2, which has nearly the same hardware, did not suffer this problem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements