× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus Unable to connect

stonemask
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus Unable to connect

Good day to you all.

I bought from a second hand store a some years ago my ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus since I always wanted a NAS system.

There were no disks or anything that came with the NAS, only the NAS itself and a power adapter.

At the time I was unable to get it to work and decided to look into it later.

In between I bought a Zyxel NAS and got that up and running just fine.

Now, I am trying to get it to work.

I scraped together 2x1TB hard disks and performed a factory reset as per manual instructions, afterwards I noticed HDD LED 2 was blinking and that it was unsuccesful, so I swapped the disks same result, then I read a forum post that the synchronization can take a few hours, so I let it work overnight and in the morning it was done.

Next I try to access the NAS, I see it in Windows Explorer:

ReadyNAS Ultra [nas-8B-33-20]

I click it and get a Chrome message saying I can´t access it, an unexpected error.

No biggy I look into my Router and find it´s IP address. 192.168.1.183.

I type that in chrome and use admin and netgear 1 as per manual and the only thing I see is Shares [No shares currently accessible] and Password to change the Password.

When using Raidar 6.5 [had to install Java to use it] it does not see it even though it´s on the network and accessible. Probably missing Resource CD for certificate installation.

I have come to the conclusion that I need the setup disk for the NAS but have been unable to find it online, if so that is my problem is there a way that I can download it?

Running on Windows 10 Home 20H2

Model: RNDP2000 (ReadyNAS Pro 2)|ReadyNAS® Pro 2 System Diskless|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@stonemask wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that I need the setup disk for the NAS 

No, that's not it.

@stonemask wrote:

I look into my Router and find it´s IP address. 192.168.1.183.

I type that in chrome and use admin and netgear 1 as per manual and the only thing I see is Shares [No shares currently accessible] and Password to change the Password.

If you leave off the admin bit, you end up redirected to https://192.168.1.183/shares.  That will only let you browse shares that have http access enabled.  It isn't enable by default, so you are seeing an empty share list. 

You will get a security warning from chrome (and other browsers) because the NAS uses a self-signed certficate.  There's no easy way to avoid that, so I just click through it when the warning pops up.

As far as RAIDar goes, that should be seeing the NAS.  I am thinking that there might be internet security software running on the PC that is blocking the discovery protocol it uses.

@stonemask wrote:

In order to access the shares with file explorer, you will have to enable the SMB 1 client on the PC.  You do that by going into "turn windows features on or off".  There are security implications - Windows will discourage you from turning it on.  IMO it is safe to enable SMB 1 on a home network, but this is an area where people do disagree.

One option you have is to convert the Ultra to run OS 6 firmware - which supports SMB 3, and has a much newer linux kernel and more features.  We can give you information here on how to do that.  Though if you go forward, I also suggest that you upgrade the NAS stock memory from 1 GB to 2 GB. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@stonemask wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that I need the setup disk for the NAS 

No, that's not it.

@stonemask wrote:

I look into my Router and find it´s IP address. 192.168.1.183.

If you leave off the admin bit, you end up redirected to https://192.168.1.183/shares.  That will only let you browse shares that have http access enabled.  It isn't enable by default, so you are seeing an empty share list. 

You will get a security warning from chrome (and other browsers) because the NAS uses a self-signed certficate.  There's no easy way to avoid that, so I just click through it when the warning pops up.

As far as RAIDar goes, that should be seeing the NAS.  I am thinking that there might be internet security software running on the PC that is blocking the discovery protocol it uses.

@stonemask wrote:

In order to access the shares with file explorer, you will have to enable the SMB 1 client on the PC.  You do that by going into "turn windows features on or off".  There are security implications - Windows will discourage you from turning it on.  IMO it is safe to enable SMB 1 on a home network, but this is an area where people do disagree.

One option you have is to convert the Ultra to run OS 6 firmware - which supports SMB 3, and has a much newer linux kernel and more features.  We can give you information here on how to do that.  Though if you go forward, I also suggest that you upgrade the NAS stock memory from 1 GB to 2 GB. 

Message 2 of 5
stonemask
Aspirant

Thanks for you help. Managed to login finally, installed the lates raidator update and now Raidar see´s the ReadyNAS.

So thanks for your help. Will now try to get it up and running and will then find some RAM to upgrade with. It currently has 1GB DDR3.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The ultra 2 has only one slot.  I think the only option is to upgrade it to 2 GB - and that 4 GB won't work.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

That is correct.  The processor can support 4GB, but only as 2GB per slot.  And Netgear built the board without the second slot.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements