× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 2 and USB Drives

DCS1
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 2 and USB Drives

Anyone know if the ReadyNas Ultra 2 supports 4Tb USB backup drives and if so how do I format them so i can see them in Windows 10.

Many thanks

If they are not supported what ReadyNas unit does.

Model: RNDU2220|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB (2 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

tt's fine to do a clean shutdown with the drives connected.  The eject is needed when you pull the USB cable with the system running.

If you don't do it, you'll usually need to connect the drive to a Windows PC, and let it scan/repair the file system.  Generally there is nothing to repair -  it only clears the "dirty" bit on the drive.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

4 TB drives are supported by the ultra 2, and you should format them as NTFS if you want to access the files from Windows.  It is important to eject the drives (from the web ui) before you disconnect them. I wouldn't get a USB-C drive, as it might not work even with an adapter.

Note that the front USB port on the ultra 2 is USB 3.0, the rear ports are USB 2.0 (so they are slower).  

If you are interested in NAS backup - you likely will find that you get faster speeds if you connect the drive to a PC, and back up the NAS over a wired gigabit network.

Message 2 of 12
DCS1
Aspirant

Many thanks. I usually shut down the system as it increments the USB drive numbers, eject will have the same effect ? Is any id on a USB recgonised by Netgear on reconnection? It seems not because if i don't shut down (or eject) it just thinks one has attached new drives each time. I note the new backup  software allows one to choose USB on left and right instead of their virtual numbers. I guess this was added to avoid having to reprogram backups each time a usb gets a new number ? or doesn't it work that way? Yet to try it to  find out.

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

tt's fine to do a clean shutdown with the drives connected.  The eject is needed when you pull the USB cable with the system running.

If you don't do it, you'll usually need to connect the drive to a Windows PC, and let it scan/repair the file system.  Generally there is nothing to repair -  it only clears the "dirty" bit on the drive.

Message 4 of 12
DCS1
Aspirant

Many thanks

Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you updated to OS6 on your Ultra2?  I don't recall OS4.2.x having an issue with disconnecting and re-connecting a USB drive.

While I don't have any USB drives connected to my NAS any longer to test it, the release notes for OS 6.10.0 say that there are additions to better handle USB volumes. 

Message 6 of 12
DCS1
Aspirant

I am using Raidar 6.5.0 and Radiator 4.2.31 which is apparently up to date. I don't get the new interface that one gets with later NAS drives. I added the 4Gb drive formatted as NTFS and the NAS Drive recognised it. I checked CFS allows Guest Access, Read/Write and Permissions on new files are set for read/write yet when i attempt to map a drive letter using Windows 10 it asks for credentials, User name and Password. Why is it asking for a Username ? I don't use a password to access Windows and have a local login (not microsoft email account login). Any suggestions how I overcome this problem connecting?

Message 7 of 12
DCS1
Aspirant

After 10 minutes it resolved itself. It now doesn't ask for credentials and assigns a drive letter. Cache ?

Message 8 of 12
DCS1
Aspirant

After 10 minutes it resolved itself. It now doesn't ask for credentials and assigns a drive letter. Cache ? So original request is fully answered.

Message 9 of 12
DCS1
Aspirant

Thought everything was solved but far from it. 2nd USB drive formatted under NTFS attached to NAS Drive is powerded and on but has not been recognised. I shall remove it and reformat and try again. However if it is recognisd there seems no point becuase i cannot access teh first one using Windows 10. I got around the cannot map a drive letter (or rather the systems just started working after 10 minutes) and then when i tried to remove a few files i placed on the USB befoe i attached it i neeed admistrator permsission. The only problem with that i did. So being an adminstrator i used windows security to take ownership/advanced chose everyone and tried to change to full control and the message i get is Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied .

I have CFS permissions on the NAS drive set to guest/read/write and set permission on all new files to read/write. So why can't i access the USB files? I used to use Fat32 on smaller USB drives and this works fine but as soon as NTFS is used i seem to remember always having similar problems. Now i need a USB greater than 2Tb i have no choice no other file system works. Any advice would be most welcome at this stage.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Did you create a network share on the 1st USB drive after you connected it to the NAS?

On the second drive: 

• Are you powering if from a power adapter?
  • Did you check to see if there were multiple partitions on the drive? The Windows Drive Manager can show you this.
Message 11 of 12
DCS1
Aspirant

I replaced two USB 3 2Tb drives with two 4Tb USB 3 drives. The 2Tb dirves have been working fine without separate power. One is formatted with Fat 32 the other NTFS. Neither have shares and both are accessible via Windows 10 directly attached to a PC so i didn't consider it necessary to create a share on the new drives. I just checked they had the correct CFS configuration for Guest Read/Write access and Permisssions of read write on new files. I copied some files on eh drives in Windows 10  after formatting which normally doesn't affect accessing the files when they are attached to teh NAS. In fact I use this to test the files can be removed but maybe on this occassion it has confused the issue. One can never tell what MS gets up to with every update it wouldn't surprise me if this was the problem. Failing that as long as access to the USB's connnected to a Windows 10 machine directly is not afftected by setting up a share i could try that too as a solution. I have installed a lot of Netgear NAS systems for customers and the appeal is they can remove a drive take it with them, access it whilst they are away and when they return attach it again and copy up the new files to the NAS they have amended. I wouldn't want to loose that flexibility. I am away for three weeks so may not be able to attempt these changes before then but i'll try and report back soon if i can. Many thanks.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements