× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas V1 to a Squeezebox Classic via RJ45 (no network)?

hardwire
Tutor

ReadyNas V1 to a Squeezebox Classic via RJ45 (no network)?

I used to connect my Squeezebox Classic to my ReadyNas duo V1 via a home wifi LAN to play FLAC files. I am now a user on someone else's wifi and I'm hoping to connect them via ethernet cable without a router or switch in between. Is this practical or even possible?

I ran a crossover RJ45 between them but so far I can't get them to talk to each other. Slim server is installed on the NAS. I did log the Squeezebox into the wifi here and can access Squeeze Network but I don't want to add the NAS to someone else's network. The NAS settings haven't been changed and the SB is updated to the latest version. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas V1 to a Squeezebox Classic via RJ45 (no network)?

@hardwire wrote:

I ran a crossover RJ45 between them

The NAS is gigabit (which normally doesn't need a crossover), but the Squeezebox is fast ethernet (so does).

You will need to configure a static IP address on the NAS, or use the failover address (192.168.168.168).  And configure a compatible static address on the Squeezebox.

Another option is to connect them both to an inexpensive router (with no WAN connection).  Then the router will provide addresses with DHCP, but of course you wouldn't be able to reach the internet.  You could then also turn on the router wifi, and connect with a PC to manage both devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@hardwire wrote:

I ran a crossover RJ45 between them

The NAS is gigabit (which normally doesn't need a crossover), but the Squeezebox is fast ethernet (so does).

You will need to configure a static IP address on the NAS, or use the failover address (192.168.168.168).  And configure a compatible static address on the Squeezebox.

Another option is to connect them both to an inexpensive router (with no WAN connection).  Then the router will provide addresses with DHCP, but of course you wouldn't be able to reach the internet.  You could then also turn on the router wifi, and connect with a PC to manage both devices.

Message 2 of 4
hardwire
Tutor

Thanks! I'll try it. 

Message 3 of 4
hardwire
Tutor

Up and running with a simple router. Thanks for the help. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements