× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas makes noise as if something is touching one of the fans?

ovrdrvn
Aspirant

ReadyNas makes noise as if something is touching one of the fans?

Granted, it's an older unit but in perfect working order (fans, drives etc) and condiditon. I came home this weekend to hear a reptetiive sound that is going round and round (best I can tell). I rebooted the unit but its still there. All diagnostics seem fine. Any ideas and is there a careful way to check further ....is it likely something touchign the fan like dust?

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

It could be something in one of the fans I guess.  Sometimes failing disks will make noises also.

You could try powering down, removing the disks (label them by slot!), and then power up diskless, and see if you still hear it.  If you do, then maybe open the chassis and clean out the dust.  If you use compressed air, then don't blow a long blast of air through the fans - you don't want to spin the fans too quickly.  Use short bursts with waits in between.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

If dust builds up on the fans in an uneven pattern, it can cause the fan to wobble, possibly hitting something it didn't previously.  Lots of dust or animal hair with somehting that can cause it to stick (tobacco smoke is a big one) can do that.

If you go to clean the fan, use compressed air but do not let the fan free-spin.  That can harm the bearings (which could also be your issue).  Put somehting through the fan opening to keep it from spinning.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements