× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readycloud services termination

PaulLin
Aspirant

Readycloud services termination

Hi,

With regarding to the readycloud service termination , How would this impact to the user setup at readycloud ?

Currently I have user setup under cloud user (not local user).

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Regards

Paul

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readycloud services termination

@PaulLin wrote:

With regarding to the readycloud service termination , How would this impact to the user setup at readycloud ?

Currently I have user setup under cloud user (not local user).

You will need to change to local user accounts (which will need different names).  If you use the home folders, the content in those folders will need to be moved.

Message 2 of 12
PaulLin
Aspirant

thanks Stephen,  Do you mean I have to relocate all the exisitng homeholder conent since all the cloud user home folder will be removed?

Thank in advance for yoru reply 

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@PaulLin wrote:

Do you mean I have to relocate all the exisitng homeholder conent since all the cloud user home folder will be removed?

I don't think the current cloud user folders will actually be removed from the NAS.

But your users won't be able to access the NAS using their cloud credentials.  So the contents will have to be moved to their new user accounts.

This is a bit tricky to do, due in part to the ACL that is applied to the home folders.  Another complication is that the home folder is normally created the first time a user connects to the NAS using SMB. 

One option is to have each user copy their folder to their PC before you shift to the local user accounts, and have them upload it to the newly created folders.  Optionally they can remove any files they no longer care about.

You can also do this for each user when you create their new account - copying their current folder to a PC (or a temporary share) using your admin credentials.  Then you can log in from Windows using the new account credentials, and upload the folder contents.

A PITA either way.

Message 4 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are comfortable with SSH and the Linux command line, then moving personal folder content is a lot easier.  The ReadyNAS-specific command mkhomedir_helper will allow you to create a home folder (after you've created the user) without the user having to log in and you can easily move the contents and change their ownership from the command line.  To move contents from OldUser to NewUser, after you've created local user NewUser as member of the users group in the GUI:

mkhomedir_helper  NewUser

mv /home/Olduser/*  /home/NewUser

chown  -R  NewUser:users  /home/NewUser/*

Then you can delete user OldUser.  Since I don't use ReadyCloud, I'm not sure how one does that.  But you may need to get it done before ReadyCloud goes down.

Message 5 of 12
PaulLin
Aspirant

Thanks Sandshark for yoru advice.

BTW when I created local user, I am not able to link up to the folder. (cloud user can). Do you know any reason why 

Regards

Paul

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@PaulLin wrote:

BTW when I created local user, I am not able to link up to the folder. (cloud user can). Do you know any reason why 

Did you try accessing the NAS using the local user's username/password?

Message 7 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you miss the part where @StephenB told you "Another complication is that the home folder is normally created the first time a user connects to the NAS using SMB."  I gave you instructions on how to get around that via SSH.

Message 8 of 12
PaulLin
Aspirant

yes. I read your instruction for moving home folder, but may I know if I need to create a local user first (so that the new local user folder can get create as well) .

Or can I just create a new locate user account for cloud user folder relocation.

Just one thing would like to clarify if the readycloud got removed, would the cloud user ID also get removed ?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Regards
Paul

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@PaulLin wrote:

yes. I read your instruction for moving home folder, but may I know if I need to create a local user first (so that the new local user folder can get create as well) .

You start by creating the local user account (called NewUser in @Sandshark's instructions).  

After that you use the three commands @Sandshark gave you.

1. mkhomedir_helper  NewUser
  2. mv /home/Olduser/*  /home/NewUser
  3. chown  -R  NewUser:users  /home/NewUser/*

The first command creates the home folder for NewUser.

The second command moves the files to NewUser's home folder.

The third resets the file ownership to NewUser.

After this, you should delete the OldUser account.  If the user continues to use the old account, then new files/folders will end up in their home folder, and you'd have to run commands 2 and 3 again.

@PaulLin wrote:

Just one thing would like to clarify if the readycloud got removed, would the cloud user ID also get removed ?

Normally the accounts are retained even you change the NAS configuration to leave ReadyCloud.

Though I suggest migrating to your new solution before they actually shut ReadyCloud down.

Message 10 of 12
PaulLin
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.

regarding to the command

May I know where to key in these command ?  

Regards

Paul

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@PaulLin wrote:

May I know where to key in these command ?  

As @Sandshark said earlier, these are entered from ssh (the linux command line).

Is that something you have experience with (perhaps on other Linux platforms)?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements