× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 102 - migrate disk unit

berni45
Tutor

Readynas 102 - migrate disk unit

Hello

I have a question about moving disks from a rn 102 unit to another.
I have issue on first rn102 unit with network . So i have a new rn 102 unit, and i want to move all drives in this one, without loosing data.
Is there a safe way To proceed?
Tanks , Bernard
Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @berni45, I would go as follows:

Case1: If both nas use the same OS level (e.g. 6.9.5) you can just move the disks from the old box to the new one. Be careful to keep in mind which disk came from which bay. Disk in bay one of the old nas needs to go into bay one of the new nas. The disk in bay two of the old nas needs to go into bay two of the new nas.

Case2: Should the OS not be the same on both nas, there are two sub-cases: (1) With OS release lower in old nas, before removing the disks upgrade old nas to OS release level of new nas. (2) With the OS release higher in old nas, insert a blank spare disk into new nas, do a setup from scratch for the new nas and upgrade to the same OS level of the old nas. Then remove the spare disk and migrate the disks from the old to the new nas, baywise. For both subcases carefully read the concerned OS release notes to understand how to upgrade from a certain OS level should you currently run a faily old OS release on any of the nas.

For both cases: To be on the very safe side, if you can afford and if possible de-install all apps from the old nas before removing the disks. Re-install apps later on new nas after you successfully moved the disks and the system is up and running with the desired OS level.

You wrote "Is there a safe way To proceed?"

Well, what does 'safe way' mean? Nothing is fully determined to my understanding, but under normal circumstances all should be fine in this case. Good luck with your migration and kind regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @berni45, I would go as follows:

Case1: If both nas use the same OS level (e.g. 6.9.5) you can just move the disks from the old box to the new one. Be careful to keep in mind which disk came from which bay. Disk in bay one of the old nas needs to go into bay one of the new nas. The disk in bay two of the old nas needs to go into bay two of the new nas.

Case2: Should the OS not be the same on both nas, there are two sub-cases: (1) With OS release lower in old nas, before removing the disks upgrade old nas to OS release level of new nas. (2) With the OS release higher in old nas, insert a blank spare disk into new nas, do a setup from scratch for the new nas and upgrade to the same OS level of the old nas. Then remove the spare disk and migrate the disks from the old to the new nas, baywise. For both subcases carefully read the concerned OS release notes to understand how to upgrade from a certain OS level should you currently run a faily old OS release on any of the nas.

For both cases: To be on the very safe side, if you can afford and if possible de-install all apps from the old nas before removing the disks. Re-install apps later on new nas after you successfully moved the disks and the system is up and running with the desired OS level.

You wrote "Is there a safe way To proceed?"

Well, what does 'safe way' mean? Nothing is fully determined to my understanding, but under normal circumstances all should be fine in this case. Good luck with your migration and kind regards

Message 2 of 4
berni45
Tutor

Hi RolandWausE

Many thanks for your quick answer, and explanations, pretty clear !

With more details:

The new RN102 is not on the same OS Level (never used yet, so I don't know yet the version).

The old is on the last OS release (6.10)

So i will first with a "test" disk do upgrade the new nas. I get the point for upgrading from an old to 6.10 release. So I think i will do OS upgrade directly from readynas admin page to be sure that upgrade will be done in the correct order (or not, I will check with release notes  proposed upgrade and current version ).

Sorry for my english about safe way: for being sure that nothing is lost, I will do a regular backup on a third disk before doing the move.

I will  do a feedback once done

Kind regards

Berni45

Message 3 of 4
berni45
Tutor

Hi
After updating Os thougth readynas admin interface the new nas, i made the disk swap with nas powered off, and all is fine.
Tanks and best regard
Berni45
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements