× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 mirroring

kkothamasu
Aspirant

Readynas 104 mirroring

I've had my Readynas104 for a little while now and have been using a 5TB WD NAS HDD as my primary drive with a 4 TB one sitting as a spare. I've been for the longest time meaning to setup mirroring so that I have a backup of everything on my primary drive and finally have some time to look for a 5 TB drive that I can use to mirror the primary one. I'm finding out that WD doesn't make the 5 TB anymore and if I do want one it'll cost $100 more than a 6 TB one. Well anyway can I buy the cheaper 6 TB drive and mirror the contents of the 5 TB drive knowing that I'll be giving up 1 TB on the 6 TB one? If so, how do I set this all up without erasing the contents of the primary drive? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 104 mirroring

@kkothamasu wrote:

can I buy the cheaper 6 TB drive and mirror the contents of the 5 TB drive knowing that I'll be giving up 1 TB on the 6 TB one? 

Yes

@kkothamasu wrote:

If so, how do I set this all up without erasing the contents of the primary drive? 

Check that XRAID is enabled on the volume page of the web-ui.  It's enabled if there is a green stripe on the XRAID control.  If it's disabled, just click on the control.

After that you just hot-insert the new disk (unformatted) into the NAS.  It will automatically switch your volume from JBOD to RAID-1 and begin mirroring the existing disk.  Performance will be sluggish until that completes.

@kkothamasu wrote:

I've been for the longest time meaning to setup mirroring so that I have a backup of everything on my primary drive

This is a good idea, but it's not the same as a true backup.  RAID is not enough to keep your data safe - there are quite a few failure modes where you can lose all your data.  If you aren't backing up the NAS to a different device, then I recommend also putting a backup plan in place (for instance backing up the data to a USB drive).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements