× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 212 upgrade

Nisheel
Aspirant

Readynas 212 upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I was considering the ReadyNAS-212 2 bay system for my home network to take backups.

My environment is as follows: 

1 windows 10 pro laptop

1 mac OS Sierra laptop

2 iPhones

1 android

1 ipad

Can i backup all of these devices to the readynas 212 including the phones media?

Also i see that the readynas 212 is almost 2 years old now. is a produce refresh due?

Thanks,

Nisheel

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nisheel,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you can back up the phones to a PC, then you should be able to back them up to the NAS.  The trick is to map the NAS backup share (or the entire data volume) to a PC drive letter.

On the mac, the NAS does support TimeMachine.  There are some improvements in the works to deal with the High Sierra release.

@Nisheel wrote:

Also i see that the readynas 212 is almost 2 years old now. is a produce refresh due?

No clue there, and Netgear doesn't pre-announce.  Although they've refreshed all of the original OS-6 platforms, they are all still supported.  I don't see it as a big concern, especially if all you are looking for is backup storage.  

Message 2 of 5
Nisheel
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.

I also wanted to use it for PLEX, besides the backup. Is that fine?

No clue there, and Netgear doesn't pre-announce.  Although they've refreshed all of the original OS-6 platforms, they are all still supported.  I don't see it as a big concern, especially if all you are looking for is backup storage.  

Message 3 of 5
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nisheel,

It is fine to run plex media server together with the backup since backup jobs can be scheduled. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nisheel,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements