× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 214 compatible with the WD Red 10TB HDD?

kncowans
Virtuoso

Readynas 214 compatible with the WD Red 10TB HDD?

Hello all

I am looking to upgrade the storage in my RN214 which currently has WD RED 5TB HDDs.

I was looking at the WD RED 8TB HDD but noticed there is now a 10TB RED, however the 10TB RED is not shown on the HDD Compatibility List for the RN214.

Since it is the same family of HDD I assume it should be compatible, however I would like to confirm compatibility first.

Does anyone know if the 10TB RED is compatible with the RN214?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@kncowans wrote:

Does anyone know if the 10TB RED is compatible with the RN214?

As you suggest, it should work.  But I haven't seen any posts here from folks using this drive.

Message 2 of 13
kncowans
Virtuoso

Hello Stephen

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way to contact Support with this query that would not require a charge?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@kncowans wrote:

Is there any way to contact Support with this query that would not require a charge?

Not that I know of.  They don't do the disk certification themselves, so the most they could do is forward your query.

@douglas_cheung - any chance that these disks will be certified in our lifetimes?  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 13
n0Ob
Aspirant

Hello Kevin - did you end up finding the answer to your question? I have the ReadyNAS 214 and I want to install the WD Red 10TB (5400) drive so was curious if that worked for you. Thanks.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 13
kncowans
Virtuoso

Hello

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any answer to this question.

I have decided to hold off on upgrading my HDD until I can get a clear answer.

Sorry I could not of more help.

Kevin

Message 6 of 13
n0Ob
Aspirant

Thank you, for your prompt response. I have been reading the stats on device reliability, and I think 10TB is still too "new" to be using. I might just go with the 8TB to be on the safe side.

I'll let you know if I find something new on the 10TB drive compatibility with the RN214.

Message 7 of 13
kncowans
Virtuoso

Hello

I shall do the same if I find anything new about the Red 10TB Compatibility.

Thanks

Kevin

Message 8 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @kncowans @n0Ob

Strict tests is always done on different HDD brands and models and not all models are always listed on the HCL but as you have mentioned the 10TB reds is within the same family with the 8TB (WD80EFZX) so by that it should work with the RN214 unit you have.

The ReadyNAS HCL might have models not listed but it's more of a list of suggested drives rather than compatible only drives. The warning I would agree should be revised. but the 10TB reds would be working fine with it, 10TB Gold is actually listed.

HCL

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 9 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 10 of 13
n0Ob
Aspirant

Hey Kevin - FYI, I just bought the 10TB WD Red 5400 drive. I'll try it out over the weekend and let you (and everyone) know if it works on the ReadyNAS 214. Let me know if you tried it already.

Message 11 of 13
n0Ob
Aspirant

Hi Kevin - I have validated that the 10TB drive (WD Red 5400) works on the ReadyNAS 214. It should up as 9.09TB available.

Message 12 of 13
kncowans
Virtuoso

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to test thiis, i am sure it will help many people as it has me.

Kevin

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements