× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 314 6.10.3 after update No ROOT access - rejecting know good password

thedazman68
Aspirant

Readynas 314 6.10.3 after update No ROOT access - rejecting know good password

After NAS updated 6.10.2 to 6.10.3 all my webserver setting & certificates were lost and my on-line store went down. I can no longer access root directories, my Gateone app I used for SSH no longer works and I can't connect using putty after following instruction and get a network error (even thought there is no issue FTP as admin account). When I use an old root connection in filezilla it tried to connect and says password is invalid

I also can't log onto myPHPAdmin with root password anymore. I changed my Admin password hoping to would set root too, but that not working and I also couldn't use the new Admin password for 15 mins either. No matter what I change Admin password to root isn't authenticating with that password.

I can log into the admin page, been through the SSH setup again. I can FTP using admin but again can not using root!

My store is dead, certificates broke and I can not get to root to try and fix/restore backups etc. I was so dependant on gateone app to access the NAS SSH, but since update that app wont run or re-install. I have shell in a box installed and I get ReadyNAS2 login: prompy, but no idea how to log onto this

Desperate, please help, why is root rejecting my logon, 

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 314 6.10.3 after update No ROOT access - rejecting know good password

@thedazman68 wrote:

I cant thank you enough, but if you send me a IM with your paypal details I'll say thanks some more

I appreciate the gesture, but no payment is needed.

I'm glad you got back into the NAS and got everything sorted out. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
thedazman68
Aspirant

Re: Readynas 314 6.10.3 after update No ROOT access - rejecting know good password

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: USER root
Response: 331 Password required for root
Command: PASS ******
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

I know the password is correct I've been using it for years till update. Again setting Admin password make no difference to root logon

Help !!!

Message 2 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Can you connect with ssh from a PC - not using a certificate?

Message 3 of 16
thedazman68
Aspirant

Thanks for quick reply, yes I've tried to connect putty using the community instructions for that. I've setup public and private keys. Added to Frontview ssh and user accounts and putty and it wont connect. not 100% sure what port I sould be using be connection is rejected

Message 4 of 16
thedazman68
Aspirant

server is rejecting all connections inc sftp,ssh,telnet for both root and admin. But I can use FTP only with admin and not root.

I have done an OS Re-Install and same. changed admin password "password" to my password and while FTP works only for admin. I thought root and admin pwd was the same. if that's the case I should also be able to ftp and root.

I also tried a password recovery but hung and didn't send e-mail at all and then locked me out totally. The OS re-install did get me back into the UI but can't get to any part of my webserver, phpmyadmin, BBphp. My site is down because myphpsql connection uses root and it can't authenticate. My forum is down too.

All because this blinking thing decided obviously I don't own this any more. The last update I did broke my store after changing web server config now it seems to have done a better job of killing my business.

I'm at a loss and after nearly 24 hours non stop trying to revocer my on-line store I'm litterally no further forward.

I really need to get root to let me in. I really shouldn't be having to lose my business just because of a firmware update

Unfortunatly i'm on a budget and can't afford proper webhosting

I hope a real readynas guru can get me to the file system

Daz

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Normally the NAS either uses a certificate or a password for a given username, but not both.  Root is set up to use a password - which is why I was asking if you'd tried to connect without the cert.

The default ssh port will work, so you don't need to enter that with putty, etc..  Note that ssh is built into windows 10, so you can also just enter "ssh root@nas-ip-address" into the windows search bar.  It will then prompt for the password.

Did you try booting up in tech support mode?  You'd then be able to telnet into the box.  It should be possible to mount the RAID array.

You'd log in as root with infr8ntdebug as the password (using telnet).

Then enter

# rnutil chroot
# btrfs device scan
# btrfs fi show
# mount /dev/md127 /data

If you are using flexraid, then you'll need to substitute your data volume name for data.

Then you could investigate as if you were using ssh. Apache, etc won't running though.  Personally I'd start by looking for a full OS partition, as that is a likely cause of your problem.

You could also then back up your data (including the storefront stuff).

Message 6 of 16
thedazman68
Aspirant

thanks for your reply. I don't know about certs I think I've always used password.

Running ssh from search did litterally did nothing, nothing popped up and no errors. When run in a cmd window I got

"C:\Users\daz>ssh root@192.168.1.63
Connection reset by 192.168.1.63 port 22
"

I can run phpMyAdmin UI and it prompts for Root password and like all other app says password not valid. According to netgear the admin and root should be the same and i've reset the amin password with the OS re-install and set a new password, and wont take "password" or my new pwd, which works for all admin logons.

Not sure how to boot into support mode. Only boot modes I've seen in the boot menu is normal,os Reinstall or factory Reset. will look into that..

I have backed up my user file share data, but my store database sits in ./var/lib/mysql and this is the most important thing I need to recover.

My web site is running it just can't connect to sql database as root.

I will look into tech support mode now.

When I use Poussin's Shell in a box which connects using port 4200 I get a ReadyNAS Login: prompt, but dont know what this is or if it's something I can use. i'ts not prompting for credentials

Thanks for your input so far

Daz

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@thedazman68 wrote:

thanks for your reply. I don't know about certs 

The info below from your previous posts is what prompted the question.

But you didn't post enough context for me to understand what the trace was from.

@thedazman68 wrote:

Not sure how to boot into support mode. Only boot modes I've seen in the boot menu is normal,os Reinstall or factory Reset. will look into that..

See pages 58-59 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 8 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you recently change the admin password?  Did you try the old one?

In the many experiments I have tried (some in the "you really shouldn't do that" category) on my "sandbox" NAS, I did once have the admin password change, but not root.  I SSH'ed in using the old password then used the passwd command to set the root password the same as the new admin one.  I don't recall the circumstances, so this is likely a very rare occurrance.  But worth asking about.

Message 9 of 16
thedazman68
Aspirant

Thanks for input...

I have been using the same admin and root password for years.

I changed the root a year ago from the default to match my admin password come to think of it so this info I'm reading about the Root being the same as admin and changing admin password definitely isn't changing root. I reinstalled the OS and the admin password reset to "password" but root didn't. I then changed admin pwd back to my since forever password and root again not changed. I've tried my root password and the previous which I believe was "admin" ?

perhaps it would help if someone could confirm the default root password. I can't find any reference to this oddly.

The default admin password seems to be "password" and I have tried "password", "admin" and my own password before it all broke. I have only ever set root password once and been using that for a long time, so the password can only be that or the default, which I'm assuming is "admin" or "password" ??

if I could get a ssh connection AT ALL I might be able to do something, but my store is still off line now and costing me dearly as it's my only income while on lock down

i really need some tech support on this and wonder if Netgear have a way to backdoor to the root so I could pull a few files off ???

Daz

Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@thedazman68 wrote:

perhaps it would help if someone could confirm the default root password. I can't find any reference to this oddly.

The default root password is password.  Whenever you change the admin password from the web ui, the system will automatically change the root password to match.  There was one time that failed to happen for me (and it's happened at least once to @Sandshark ).

@thedazman68 wrote:

wonder if Netgear have a way to backdoor to the root so I could pull a few files off ???

Did you miss my post above?  You can get in through tech support mode, and I provided the commands you need to access the NAS and mount your RAID array.

Message 11 of 16
thedazman68
Aspirant

Thanks,

there is no tech support mode in the boot menu on my NAS, which I mentioned. How do I get to tech support mode if it's not in the boot menu?

Root & "password" doesn't work unfortunately even though I have re-installed OS. It can only be the default pwd or the only password I ever set ages ago which has been working for ages (which is the same as my admin pwd)

My business is still off-line and I'm pulling my hair out.

been getting advice to mount my drives to Linux system, but that's beyond my ability.

i'd happily pay to get this fixed. It's disappointing there is no way to back up the root directories and settings. Not having any sftp, ssh or telnet is a nightmare. Only thing I have managed to get working is ftp as admin all other connection attempt are being rejected by the server.

hoping there is a way to get to tech support mode, please let me know how if not in menu 

Daz

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@thedazman68 wrote:

Thanks,

there is no tech support mode in the boot menu on my NAS, which I mentioned. How do I get to tech support mode if it's not in the boot menu?

As I also said earlier:  

See pages 58-59 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

It should be there.

Message 13 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

One of the things I just noticed is that you said the response trying to SSH in was "Connection reset".  That is not a normal response to using a wrong password or for not having SSH enabled.  Wrong password should respond "access denied" and SSH not enabled responds "connection refused".  So, you may be having a problem other than the wrong root password.  "Connection reset" is what you get when the process is killed as a part of shut-down (or, presumably, something else shutting down the SSH process).  I'm beginning to wonder if a full OS partition is your real problem.

MyPHPAdmin also has it's own user list and passwords.  The default "root" password for MyPHPAdmin is nothing (null) in some versions and "password" in others.  While you may have changed it to be the same as your system password, they would not be linked.

Not having an option for Tech Support mode in your boot menu is also quite strange, though I don't know how that would be linked to the SSH access issue.

Message 14 of 16
thedazman68
Aspirant

StephenB THANKS YOU MY GURU !!!

I did previously cycle through the boot menu and there was no tech support mode. However after doing it again it was there ! honest !!

I managed to telnet and mount the drive with your instructions, but I mounted root as my customer database is in the mysql folders. I found an issue with the ext directory, probably something I broke while trying to fix my SSL certificate issues!!

root started working with my root password and the web server has come back up.

ssh, sftp, telnet all working again.

the connection errors where me trying an filezilla sftp connection. all terminal services were being rejected by the server, but apart from the continuing SSL not renewing everything else seems to be ok and the store is back up now root password is working.

I cant thank you enough, but if you send me a IM with your paypal details I'll say thanks some more

Daz 

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@thedazman68 wrote:

I appreciate the gesture, but no payment is needed.

I'm glad you got back into the NAS and got everything sorted out. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements