× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 426, is it possible to upgrade the ram?

acalvo
Star

Readynas 426, is it possible to upgrade the ram?

Hi!

I'm thinking in a few days in change my old ultra 2 to an other NAS. I saw the RN426 with a good a price in a big store. But my doubt is about if the memory RAM is upgradable in this model. 

I saw the post about RN428 (https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-428-memory-upgrade/td-p/1588243...) and I saw an image of the motherboard named  NTR_RN426_RN428_v2.0. All 428/426 have the same motherboard?. I'm worried becasue I saw this review https://www.itpro.co.uk/nas/29918/netgear-readynas-rn426-review and it's confusing, because they say that the memory is not upgradable. My question, the ReadyNAS426 is RAM upgradable or not in all units?

Thanks a lot.

Alvaro

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I believe the memory is socketed, but gaining access to it requires significant disassembly (that is, the RAM isn't accessible if you just remove the outer skin of the chassis).  

In any event, upgrading the RAM will void the warranty, so it's not something I would do unless there is a compelling reason.

FWIW, the memory in the RN422 and RN424 is soldered in, so those units are not upgradable.

Message 2 of 6
acalvo
Star

The reason is not to disasembly or upgrade the ram now, but this NAS would be for a few years and then, when the warranty expire, I want to have the possibility.

I don't know if someone had upgraded this model of NAS!

Anyway, I will consider the RN426 with RAM upgradable as you said @StephenB 

Thanks StephenB!

Message 3 of 6
gann
Aspirant

Why do you wan't to upgrade?

You will be better off working out the required life span and performance then buy a NAS unit to suit your needs

Even if easily upgradable you can not be sure the needed memory modules will be readily available wen you require them

BUY WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE LIFE OF THE UNIT

Message 4 of 6
acalvo
Star

You have reason. I only want to test the device first and have the chance to make a decission in a few months about this, I don't want to think in upgrade in the future and find that all ram is soldered to the mainboard.

Anyway, I think that know the possibility to upgrade the ram in Readynas 426 is useful to future customers!

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@acalvo wrote:

...the possibility to upgrade the ram in Readynas 426 is useful to future customers!

I agree.  Although I haven't touched the RAM in my two RN52x NAS, I did upgrade the RAM in my Pro-6

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements