× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 516 6x4Tb

marioscimone
Aspirant

Readynas 516 6x4Tb

I'm new,

I have the readynas 516 with OS 6.9.5 equipped with 6x4Tb Wd4001FAEX, connected with one of the network card to a gigabit switch. On the same switch I have a dell laptop I7 with 8Gb ram and a samsung SSD with gigabit network card.

Created a share volume on the nas and shared with smb, connected on windows 10 1809 X64, if I try to move a single huge file from the SSD on the laptop to the volume shared on the NAS I get a transfer rate of 10Mb/s, is it that? I think it's a very slow, is there any way to increase it? the same happens with small files, the average is the same.

Thank you in advance.   

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The first thing to do is confirm that the connections are actually negotiating gigabit - since your speeds are consistent with 100 mbit ethernet. You can see the speed on the network page of the ReadyNAS web ui (or in network_settings.log in the zip file).  You should also confirm it on the dell.

Cabling is one potential cause of your problem.  So you could try different cables on both connections.  Cat-5e or better is what you should be using.

NasTester is a convenient way to measure speeds (and has the advantage that people here can compare their results with yours).  http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The first thing to do is confirm that the connections are actually negotiating gigabit - since your speeds are consistent with 100 mbit ethernet. You can see the speed on the network page of the ReadyNAS web ui (or in network_settings.log in the zip file).  You should also confirm it on the dell.

Cabling is one potential cause of your problem.  So you could try different cables on both connections.  Cat-5e or better is what you should be using.

NasTester is a convenient way to measure speeds (and has the advantage that people here can compare their results with yours).  http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Message 2 of 7
marioscimone
Aspirant

snapsnap

Both show 1gbisnap.jpg

Message 3 of 7
marioscimone
Aspirant

I had to change a cable even if the connection show 1Gb and now it rates 112Mb/sec

I think now is the right one or I can push it further?

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

112 MB/sec is the max (1000 gigabits per sec/8 -> 125 MB/s - and there is some overhead).

Are you connecting both ethernet ports to the switch/router?  You shouldn't do that unless you configure something called link aggregation (LAG).  So if you are connecting both, I suggest removing one of the cables.  Post back with your switch/router model and we can give you some advice on LAG.

Message 5 of 7
marioscimone
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks so much for your quick answer and help, my last one was a stupid question it was enough to do a couple of calculations.

No by know I have to connect only one because I have an unmanaged switch and I cannot create LAG, I will buy a new one.

Regards

M.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@marioscimone wrote:

I have an unmanaged switch and I cannot create LAG, I will buy a new one.

You could try ALB - that will work with most unmanaged switches.  Though in general LAG only helps if you have multiple clients accessing the NAS at the same time.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements