× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 628 Overheat and Shutdown

McRob1
Luminary

Readynas 628 Overheat and Shutdown

Just Installed Firmware 6.10.0 Hotfix 2 and for the first time in two years after doing my monthly defragmentation the NAS628 shutdown due to 6 different hard drives overheating at the same time.  Each drive was over 68C , with the hotest drive registering at 71C so the unit automatically shut itself off.  I was able to restart the NAS after it cooled for a couple of hours without issue.  I quickly killed the defragmentation job and set the performance status to Cool rather than normal.  The drives are now running around 41C.  I made sure that there was no dust collecting on anything by vacuuming the outside of the unit.

I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or a firmware issue.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 628 Overheat and Shutdown

Hi @McRob1

Have you tried contacting Support regarding this?

Usually the readings get a bit off than what is normal after an update but that can be solved by rebooting the NAS. Have you checked if the unit itself felt hot? have you tried setting back the fan control to normal state instead of cool? Good thing there are no dust collecting on the vent of the fans.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 3
McRob1
Luminary

Re: Readynas 628 Overheat and Shutdown

I have to pay money to netgear in order to talk to tech support.  I already did that once and never got a solution for a different problem.  I don't consider that an option.  I have turned off my monthly defragmentation now and changed the cooling from balanced to Cool under the performance tab.  I also changed the power settings to have the disk spin down all the time after 30 minutes.  This way when the drives wake up they run around 34C for a few minutes until they heat up again, but they usually never get above 43C using this method.  I read the seagate website and it says the drives should run between 40C and 50C.  Any hotter than 50C is not good for the drives.  I guess when they were running at 71C they probably would not have lived very long.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements