× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas NV Sparc wont boot

snipes2013
Aspirant

Readynas NV Sparc wont boot

Hi

I have an old readynas NV i came to use today and its not booting. no lights no nothing. not sure whats happened.....can anyone recommend some troubleshooting tips?

Cheers
Neil

Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas NV Sparc wont boot

The most likely cause is the power supply.  They do tend to last a long time, but your NAS is quite old.  If you have a multi-meter, there is a 4-pin UART connection on the back (may be covered with a sticker).  Check all the pins to chassis ground.  If none have voltage, it's likely the supply.

Note that while the power connector looks like a standard 30-pin ATX, it is not.  But you can make an adapter cable or modify the connector.  The pin-put is attached to a reply in this message: Inexpensive-power-supply-replacement-for-legacy-4-bay-Readynases.  Here is a nice how-to on using a standard Flex ATX supply: Readynas-NV-frugal-power-supply-replacement , but he failed to replace the -5V (white wire), which should also be done.  Maybe his supply didn't have one.

Message 2 of 9
snipes2013
Aspirant

Brilliant thank you I’ll have a look tomorrow at that. You are right it’s old but served me well. Time for an upgrade just need to get it working long enough to copy everything off it :).
Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If you have a spare ATX supply, or one you can "borrow" from a PC long enough, the adapter cable will allow you to power it long enough to download the contents.  Just do your best to keep the airflow moving through the NAS, sealing the gap for the cable with masking tape.

If it turns out it's not the power supply, Netgear does have a way to use a new OS6 based NAS to recover the data, though they do charge you.  The current problem is availability of the lower range NASes.  I do not know if Netgear offers that support on a used unit.

Message 4 of 9
snipes2013
Aspirant

I assume I will have to move the pins of the power supply to match the pin out? I’m hoping I can power it and retrieve the contents then get new 🙂
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@snipes2013 wrote:
I assume I will have to move the pins of the power supply to match the pin out? 

If you are using an external supply, you'd need an extension cable anyway.  You can make the changes in the extension cable.

@snipes2013 wrote:
 I’m hoping I can power it and retrieve the contents then get new 🙂

If you get a new ReadyNAS you can also work with support to temporarily mount the volume in the new NAS so you can offload data.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Another option is to connect the disks to a PC and use R-Studio ( https://www.r-studio.com/ ).  You can connect the disks with SATA, usb adapter/docks or a suitable USB enclosure.

When you do get running on a new NAS, I suggest putting a backup plan in place for it.

Message 6 of 9
snipes2013
Aspirant

I do have a backup plan, but as usual never actually got round to implementing it.....it’s the usual problem never give it a second thought until it all goes wrong. Thanks for your help all I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂
Message 7 of 9
snipes2013
Aspirant

Well I have it working that you all for the advice. It does however look like frankinstines monster lol.
Does anyone need a nas for spares? I’ve bought a new so getting rid now
Message 8 of 9
digidogian
Aspirant

@Sandshark @StephenB 

I have an NV+ that popped a PSU recently.  I did not find this post until after, but I would like to comment that I did use a "standard" ATX 20pin PSU and it seemed to power up and run just fine.

Now I may have toasted something without realizing it, but I was able to peel almost 5TB of data off it without issue.........

I wil certainly modify my permanent replacement for the unit. Thank you for the pinout info.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements