× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas OS6, SSD, and TRIM

Rootax
Luminary

Readynas OS6, SSD, and TRIM

Hello 🙂

I read that Readynas OS6 support SSDs, but I've hard time finding if the TRIM command is supported. And if so, does this work on a raid array ?

For the record I've an "old" Readynas Pro 4, but with the lastest OS6 on it. SSD are geting bigger and bigger, and prices are slowly going down. It's not about perfs for me (I already max out the 1gb link of my nas), but silence and heat outpout.

Thx !

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

We don't do TRIM currently.  You can enable it manually on your volume by changing your /etc/fstab file from something like this

LABEL=12345678:data /data btrfs defaults 0 0

to this

LABEL=12345678:data /data btrfs defaults,discard 0 0

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Hopefully Netgear will answer on TRIM.  They might think that the garbage collection built into modern SSDs is good enough.

It would be interesting to hear what happens to the temps/power use.  You should also see performance gains on random I/O (since you are certainly not maxing your gigabit ethernet on those).

You will need 2.5 to 3.5 inch tray adapters, since almost all SSDs are 2.5"

Message 2 of 11
Rootax
Luminary

Oh yeah, when talking about the speed, I was talking about big files transferts (which is mostly my usage).

For the adapter, a guy used 2'5 drives without them, as you can see there : http://www.magnuswedberg.com/index.php?doc=2_5_inch_disks_in_a_Netgear_Readynas

Maybe garbage collection is enough, on a 24/24 running system I can buy that (since the mechanism have time to do it), but an official response would be cool 🙂

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I suggest the adapter anyway, it will ensure the connectors are precisely aligned and keep the drive from slipping.  They are inexpensive - ~ $5 in the US.

I agree that a response on TRIM would be good, there are people who recommend it despite GC.  I don't know enough to have an informed opinion on that.

Message 4 of 11
Rootax
Luminary

About the adapter, the guy said "Also, most docks and mechanical adapters won't care about the positioning of the SATA connectors, which is crucial in this case." So, I'm not sure it's will work. Does netgear provide such adapter ? Or you can use any one in the market ?

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Rootax wrote:

About the adapter, the guy said "Also, most docks and mechanical adapters won't care about the positioning of the SATA connectors, which is crucial in this case." So, I'm not sure it's will work. Does netgear provide such adapter ? Or you can use any one in the market ?

Netgear doesn't provide one.  I agree the positioning matters.  There are a couple posts saying that Icy Dock MB882SP-1S-1B and MB982IP-1S work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/35497088@N06/5444882705/

I know there are other folks using 2.5" drives in their legacy NAS, so perhaps one will comment. 

Message 6 of 11
Rootax
Luminary

I'll keep that model in mind when i will go to SSDs, thx.

Message 7 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

We don't do TRIM currently.  You can enable it manually on your volume by changing your /etc/fstab file from something like this

LABEL=12345678:data /data btrfs defaults 0 0

to this

LABEL=12345678:data /data btrfs defaults,discard 0 0

Message 8 of 11
Rootax
Luminary

Thx you.

I'll accept this as a solution.

EDIT :  Is this working even with with a x-raid volume ?Because if I'm not mistaken, btrfs is on top of an mdraid layer, right ? And as far as I know, mdraid doesn't support trim ... ?

Message 9 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@Rootax wrote:

EDIT :  Is this working even with with a x-raid volume ?Because if I'm not mistaken, btrfs is on top of an mdraid layer, right ? And as far as I know, mdraid doesn't support trim ... ?

Yes, it does.  MD has supported TRIM for a few years now.

Message 10 of 11
Rootax
Luminary

Thx again 🙂
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements