× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas OS6 future requests

Uncluesteve
Aspirant

I would like to add a request in for the Frontview backup. I know there is an option to exclude files or folders, but there is no way to exclude file types. It would be nice to be able to exclude temporary files & some system files that are new needed in all of my backup jobs. For instance; *.tmp, *.bak, *.plt, *.sv$ Since most of the files I am backing up are AutoCAD files, these extra files are of little use to me in a recover situation.
Message 26 of 56
pavit
Aspirant

SSD Caching ? 😄
Message 27 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

xeltros wrote:
Unfortunately, Netgear policy is to not comment on non-released features. So I think you will get this information when 6.2 (or its beta) is released.

Beta 3 is released already and unfortunatelly there is no possibility to define the time of switch-off the NAS (ONLY switch-off).
Is there any chance to do the change yet?
Message 28 of 56
xeltros
Apprentice

AFAIK you only have a timer to switch off then back on. Still there is the possibility to do it via SSH. The shutdown command is rn_shutdown, I believe that either "at" or "cron" will let you automate the shutdown process. If you have SSH enabled, you can try this, otherwise if this is something that you don't need that much (or can cope with the on/off timer), I would advise not enabling SSH as this can cause some problems with the warranty (though I don't see Netgear complaining for a simple call to a command at a specified time).
Message 29 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you're not comfortable with SSH, a better way would be to run a script on another box that calls the shutdown command via the Dashboard. The disadvantage of that is you would need to hard code the login credentials for the Dashboard in the script.
Message 30 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

xeltros and mdgm, thank you for your answers.
I know that possibilities/workarounds, but in my opinion it should be accessible in GUI, like in OS4 - it was very good done there.
I can't understand why NG has restricted it in OS6.
There is a need to switch-on the NAS ON DEMAND and not remember about switch-off. I believe it is not only my need.
I propose to implement that possibility in OS6. That's why I recall about it in this thread.
Message 31 of 56
xeltros
Apprentice

I believe they chose to have a basic core that they could build upon for the next 5 years, rather than a feature-full OS that they would spend 2 years to debug. The whole OS was rebuilt and as such it was not a "enable/disable" problem but a "do it again" thing. Though I agree that since they have an on/off schedule, saying the NAS to stay off shouldn't be a tremendous task.

I totally agree on the fact that asking is a good solution. I've myself passed a list via the tech support.
Message 32 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

Thank you xeltros. I believe this feature appears in future release.
Message 33 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A thing I would like to see in future releases would be the ability to Share "subfolders" ie within my Data/Pictures Share folder I have many separate Albums so would like to Share those.
Message 34 of 56
xeltros
Apprentice

Definitely rights and sharing for subfolders would be great.
Message 35 of 56
Paonza
Aspirant

Rights and sharing for subfolders is a basic missing function!! How to share a picture sub-folder under Picture folder???
Message 36 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The ability to select more than 1 Snapshot at a time to be deleted would be an advantage. Its very slow deleting 1 at a time, a simple check box above each timestamp/marker would suffice then hit Delete.
On the Snapshot schedule facility, add in the Option of Monthly.
Also the ability to share Sub folders as I posted before would be great.
Thanks
Message 37 of 56
alexofindy
Aspirant

Lpt print server functionality, like in OS 4.x.x

The ability to set ownership and GUID for all files in a share to whatever the user wishes; this is important to maintain compatibility for backups (such as rsync) from legacy systems.

It's not nice when system upgrades omit valuable functionality found in prior versions. I was not happy to find that the print server function had gone by the wayside.
Message 38 of 56
StephenB
Guru

I'd like a way to schedule WoL for other devices. There is a way to do this in OS 4.2.x for backups - which is enough, but I'd prefer a separate utility/schedule as well as being able to wake the remote backup device. I use this feature now in OS4 to wake my PCs on schedule, but I need to create a dummy backup job for each PC to do it.
Message 39 of 56
deploylinux
Aspirant

Finally threw the towel in our 8yr old(?) NV here (yes, the original NV, not the NV+)...during the last few months, it actually had a power supply failure which gave off smoke, and after replacing the PS - I found that it had actually corrupted data.

In any case, the new R516 with 6.2.4 arrived, and I have some feedback/future requests:

- The add on feature seems very confused right now, some users apparently complain that it makes their systems more unreliable to install some addons, there is no statement that security sensitive addons will be updated in a timely manner to address security patches/etc...would I risk installing the dns server plugin on the R516? if so, which of the apparently several plugins?
Please put together a clear policy on which addons are maintained/not maintained and if they will be removed....as it is, you have an app store with unclear policies.

- Automatic rebuild good, rebuild times...worrying. OK, I was in a rush to start and installed the 516 with just two disks, additional drives arrived later...however, I now have to wait 1-2 days for resync to finish for each of the following 4 drives? So, 4-8 days to get my 2 drive raid 1 config to 6 drive raid6? yes, I appreciate no downtime during this process, but perhaps have a way for me to add multiple drives before starting the automatic rebuild?

- Readynas vault pricing is high, but this seems to be integrated very well and have some excellent functionality. I do hate that I'm essentially paying twice for backup functionality on the 516...the free backup code and addons just don't interact well with other solutions I was considering, and I needed versioning and archive retention configured separately on each share. What is neat is that the vault autodetects all the shares, and prompts for backup settings for each. Long term, I think Vault needs to have a discount for 2-3 year contract commitments, perhaps another 20% off the current annual price..and it needs to support the largest file sizes it can..unclear what it actually supports now. Yes, archive my movie mkv's in the vault.. I plan to investigate the reporting functionality soon.

- I am still reviewing the new pc->readynas functionality from the readynas cloud...I wish it would more closely emulate how ibackup's client works..and not be focused on single directories. And, I don't need continuous backups of many directories...daily will do. Is there a new backup client also for Linux, or will linux users always be stuck with rsync over ssh to the nas?

- CPU Utilization/process list view requires logging in via ssh, didn't see this shown anywhere from the web ui?

- There doesn't seem to be anyway to prioritize some shares over others? e.g. if nas is very busy, i/o to the finance share should be prioritized over the music share? No way to guarentee a minimum amount of free space on each share, or a max size for each? or, even a min io ops/second...much like vmware does in esx for each VM. Yes, it's excellent that they all expand as needed...but I see the new interface promoting the use of more shares and it would be nice to have some way to ensure that any resource contention between shares is as the owner wishes.

- Creating users should have some way of automatically notifying those users of their new account and letting them set their own password..or I suppose this wasn't implemented because it was assumed that larger shops would integrate with existing active directory setups.
Message 40 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

deploylinux wrote:
Finally threw the towel in our 8yr old(?) NV here (yes, the original NV, not the NV+)...during the last few months, it actually had a power supply failure which gave off smoke, and after replacing the PS - I found that it had actually corrupted data.

8 years is a good run. Hope you had a backup.
deploylinux wrote:

In any case, the new R516 with 6.2.4 arrived, and I have some feedback/future requests:

Thanks for the feedback/requests. I will pass these on.

- The add on feature seems very confused right now, some users apparently complain that it makes their systems more unreliable to install some addons, there is no statement that security sensitive addons will be updated in a timely manner to address security patches/etc...would I risk installing the dns server plugin on the R516? if so, which of the apparently several plugins?
Please put together a clear policy on which addons are maintained/not maintained and if they will be removed....as it is, you have an app store with unclear policies.
deploylinux wrote:

- Automatic rebuild good, rebuild times...worrying. OK, I was in a rush to start and installed the 516 with just two disks, additional drives arrived later...however, I now have to wait 1-2 days for resync to finish for each of the following 4 drives? So, 4-8 days to get my 2 drive raid 1 config to 6 drive raid6? yes, I appreciate no downtime during this process, but perhaps have a way for me to add multiple drives before starting the automatic rebuild?

Even if we allowed that it would still need to process one disk at a time to expand an existing array. The disks have to be synced sector by sector.
deploylinux wrote:

- Readynas vault pricing is high, but this seems to be integrated very well and have some excellent functionality. I do hate that I'm essentially paying twice for backup functionality on the 516...the free backup code and addons just don't interact well with other solutions I was considering, and I needed versioning and archive retention configured separately on each share. What is neat is that the vault autodetects all the shares, and prompts for backup settings for each. Long term, I think Vault needs to have a discount for 2-3 year contract commitments, perhaps another 20% off the current annual price..and it needs to support the largest file sizes it can..unclear what it actually supports now. Yes, archive my movie mkv's in the vault.. I plan to investigate the reporting functionality soon.

There are other backups options you can use too such as ReadyNAS Replicate to another ReadyNAS which you may wish to consider.
deploylinux wrote:

Is there a new backup client also for Linux, or will linux users always be stuck with rsync over ssh to the nas?

There isn't a ReadyCloud client for Linux. Thanks for the request.
deploylinux wrote:

- CPU Utilization/process list view requires logging in via ssh, didn't see this shown anywhere from the web ui?

This isn't in the UI. It's a difficult one as some users would find such a list confusing while experienced admins would find it very useful.

One would think that most users looking to go to these lengths in troubleshooting themselves would be comfortable with using SSH.
deploylinux wrote:

- There doesn't seem to be anyway to prioritize some shares over others? e.g. if nas is very busy, i/o to the finance share should be prioritized over the music share? No way to guarentee a minimum amount of free space on each share, or a max size for each? or, even a min io ops/second...much like vmware does in esx for each VM. Yes, it's excellent that they all expand as needed...but I see the new interface promoting the use of more shares and it would be nice to have some way to ensure that any resource contention between shares is as the owner wishes.

For prioritising I/O for different shares, I don't think samba supports this. But if it does it may be achievable by creating an /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides with the necessary config entries. Prioritising I/O would need to be done for each protocol in use (SMB, NFS, FTP etc.) so even if there is a way for one protocol that may not solve the problem. As for quotas we don't support those at this time.
Message 41 of 56
dsm1212
Apprentice

re: Even if we allowed that it would still need to process one disk at a time to expand an existing array. The disks have to be synced sector by sector.

There are some advantages to parallel rebuild, but there are even easier improvements that can be made. Has netgear investigated using bitmaps, adjusting the the stripe_cache_size based on available memory, or disabling NCQ? I believe all of these would help and they are relatively simple tweaks. Bitmaps especially mean that only the used parts of the disks will get rebuilt and can be a huge win.

steve
Message 42 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We'd go for reliability over speed. Syncing the disk sector by sector is the best way to go using md raid.
Message 43 of 56
itsjasper
Luminary

I'd be quite happy with a CPU / RAM used counter (like the Synology DSM has), and surely it would be trivial to add those counters into the performance section?

Talking of which, being able to select which performance counters are shown, and being able to reorder of those counters would be beneficial. eg: I have no need for utilisation over time, and look at IOs rarely. CPU, temp and data rates are more important to me. Also making the counters 'remember' if they are in a minimised or viewed state, ideally past reboots.

Otherwise, have a basic / advanced toggle for the performance section and have simple dials or bars in the basic section, and put all the good power user stuff and RTG graphing in advanced.

And to finish off with more of a unicorn request than one for a pony 😄 - a VirtualBox / Docker app for higher-specced units would be amazing.
Message 44 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

CPU counters would need to take into account multiple cores.

Furthermore when it comes to RAM, what's not important is how much RAM is free, but rather how much is free + how much is being used for caching. The memory can be pretty much all in use and the system working fine. What is a concern is if there is lots of swapping.
Message 45 of 56
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Hi There,

I came accross this :
http://www.own-mailbox.com

Similar easy implementation of a secure mail server by software, would make a cool feature for OS6 ! At least to me setting up correctly a mail server always sounded difficult.

Regards,
Message 46 of 56
AndrewJohn
Aspirant

A few things to request:

1. Record all events in the Log File.  Presently, the log file seems to only record "selected" events, inconsistently.  For example, start of "DISK RESYNC" after a hot-swap is not reported, but the change from "RESYNC" to "ONLINE" is recorded. See message text for the latter, cut&pasted from my log.

Tue Aug 11 2015 3:46:09 Disk: Disk in channel '2' (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.

2. Disambiguate terminology, and use terms consistently, across all tools (RAIDar, Admin Console, log file, pop-ups in Windows Tray, etc.) and documentation. For example, these terms  used in log messages, GUI for Admin Console, are inconsistently used to refer to different events, activities, and specific objects (disks vs. Volumes, vs. LUN's, etc.Disambiguate == Better User Experience == Less support cost to NETGEAR == happier customers == more sales == More Profits == BIGGER R&D budgets == More COOL Innovation and Features == loop-back into this cool cycle !!!

For example, to reduce confusion in messaging.  "Rebuild." "RESYNC," "ONLINE," "Degraded," "Redundant", and so on should be used with one, proper object (gramatically speaking). The object f these terms should always be stated as either: "System <name>," "Volume <name>," or "Disk <channel#>."

3. Do not allow software engineers to design user interfaces.  Add 1 good UI designer, and give them authority over all tools to have a richer, but common GUI - and ultimately an exceptional "User Experience" (see cycle in 2 to defend, why this hire is the most important.  SW engineers and programmers will be happier, and more productive, if they don't have to do the GUI design work.  That one good UI designer should develop a "GUI Style Guide," that outlines the "specification" for the "framework" for User Interfaces, messaging, vernacular, terminology, grammar, and so on - consistently - with extensions to all supported UI languages (English to Chinese to Arabic, and so on).  This is super-old innovation - companies like Autodesk Inc., were able to ship software in 22 languages, simultaneously, as early as the mid 1980's.  No need to reinvent the wheel, just choose a well vetted open-source language tool set and follow what everyone else has already done - and empower one authority over all domains to evaluate and drive consistency across software engineering. Give that role to the "1 good UI designer."

4. Use a GUI Style Guide (developed by the one good UI designer with authority to do it) to use consistent display of messages Upper Case or Lower Case - should be consistent "ONLINE" vs. "Redunant" in the example here from my LOG file. And, either use quotation marks or don't use quotation marks, consistently, in system messaging, software tools (RAIDar, Admin Console, etc.) and Documenation.

Tue Aug 11 2015 3:46:09 Disk: Disk in channel '2' (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.
Tue Aug 11 2015 3:46:07 Volume: Volume 'data' health changed from 'Degraded' to 'Redundant'.

5. Reboot events in the Log File would be more informative if they indicated how they were initiated.  I've see reboot events initiated by AntiVirus, and other reasons (or drawn that conclusion - because of no information written in the log.

6. "ReadyNAS has started" events would be far more valuable if they noted the version of ReadyNAS OS, and the firmware version from the registry tables.

Mon Aug 10 2015 21:25:37 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Mon Aug 10 2015 21:20:12 System: The system is rebooting.

FWIW, I LOVE my ReadyNAS 104.  The more I use it, the more I love it - and the more I want to make it perfect !

7. Admin console should NOT allow a firmware update if a hot-swap has been initiated - or for that matter, any disk error, or volume "degraded" condition. In the Admin console, say an update is available, but will only be installed after the current system condition is restored to "online" and "redundant."   (OR do 8, below... Ask your new GUI designer which approach would be better!)

8. OR, Tell the user in a firmware error message to be displayed (in the admin console, etc.) indicating that the "Firmware update will not interfere with disk resync and volume rebuild process you have recently initiated. Continue safely with the reboot."  (Assuming that is completely failsafe and true.)

Message 47 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

"Though I agree that since they have an on/off schedule, saying the NAS to stay off shouldn't be a tremendous task.

I totally agree on the fact that asking is a good solution. I've myself passed a list via the tech support."

xeltros and mdgm,
I have changed some versions and still there is no switch off schedule functionality 😞
Could you answer please, is there any chance to see that simple, but important solution?

Message 48 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

xeltros and mdgm, could you answer the above question, please ?

Message 49 of 56
StephenB
Guru

Note that this is an OS6 thread, and you are asking about OS 4.x products, so you are posting on the wrong thread.

xeltros hasn't been around for quite some time (and didn't work for Netgear, so wouldn't have been able to answer your questions anyway).

The Pro-4 and the NV+ are legacy products, and I'd be very surprised to see any new features released on either.  (I don't work for Netgear either).

Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements