× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas OS6 : rsync over SSH won't work (log say rsyncd.conf missing, but it's there...??)

wysiwyg31
Tutor

Readynas OS6 : rsync over SSH won't work (log say rsyncd.conf missing, but it's there...??)

Hi !

I try to backup a synology nas on a readynas OS6 with rsync & ssh.

Currently both nas are on same LAN.

Rsync without SSH works (synology find my readynas rsync shares and backup perfectly).

SSH login from synology to readynas works, including with keys.

But when the synology tries to connect to rsync over ssh to readynas, the ssh connexion seems to work according to logs,  but rsync shows a weird message in logs:

Dec 03 21:57:33 roland rsyncd[4250]: rsync: unable to open config file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or directory (2)
Dec 03 21:57:33 roland rsyncd[4250]: rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at clientserver.c(1056) [Receiver=3.1.3]

/etc/rsyncd.conf exists and works fine when I used rsync without ssh.

What can I do ?

I use readynas OS6 v6.10.2

Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas OS6 : rsync over SSH won't work (log say rsyncd.conf missing, but it's there...??)

@wysiwyg31

RYSNC over SSH shouldn't need to have rsyncd.conf to run. Have you checked the syntax you entered?

Regards

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas OS6 : rsync over SSH won't work (log say rsyncd.conf missing, but it's there...??)

You might also try running an rsync-over-ssh backup job on the ReadyNAS, instead of running it on the Synology.

Message 3 of 6
wysiwyg31
Tutor

Hello!

@Marc_V ,  There is no syntax, I just tried to setup backup by rsync from synologic hyperbackup app.

When using rsync (without ssh): hyperbackup does found the opened rsync shares from the Readynas.

When trying rsync over ssh, it say it cannot connect.

But...if rsyncd.conf is not needed...where should be made available the information about the available rsync shares/folders ?

@StephenB Do you mean that instead of having the synology as "master" (triggering and managing the backups, uploading data to readynas), I could try the other way around, with the Readynas managing the backup and downloading data from opened shares on the Synology ?

I could give a try, but for now, the synology is my "main" nas (the readynas is a bit old), so I would have prefered to manage everything from the syno.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@wysiwyg31 wrote:

Do you mean that instead of having the synology as "master" (triggering and managing the backups, uploading data to readynas), I could try the other way around, with the Readynas managing the backup and downloading data from opened shares on the Synology ?

I could give a try, but for now, the synology is my "main" nas (the readynas is a bit old), so I would have prefered to manage everything from the syno.

Yes.  

I think it's worth trying at least as a test.

FWIW, one benefit of running the backup job on the ReadyNAS is that you can then put the ReadyNAS on a power schedule.  I run my own backups on the ReadyNAS destination machines for that reason.

Message 5 of 6
wysiwyg31
Tutor

Yes, I had this in mind when reading your proposal.

I already had a look on how to remotely power off the readynas, it seems possible, but I guess much easier that it power off itself after finishing the job.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements