× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Pro 6 not booting, which firmware to revert to?

mikmager
Guide

Readynas Pro 6 not booting, which firmware to revert to?

I've upgraded my Readynas Pro 6 to OS6 a while back. Everything went fine. Then bought 4Gb of RAM. I upgraded RAM and when starting it's just stuck. I changed back to the old RAM, same thing happens. It doesn't boot.

Browsing the forums I found out that there was VGA connector on the mobo. However, no such cable is available for purchase here as it seems too old. I managed to buy the parts and soldered my own cable.

When booting, the BIOS shows up and then it's stuck at "MBR H error".

Next step seems to be to create a usb recovery tool.

There seems to be one tool for 4.2: https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool?article=30267

and one for OS6: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Which one should I use?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

The file has to be named in the form RAIDiator-X.X.X (with no extension).  If you are still on OS V6.9.x, then just re-name the R4toR6 file.  If you are on OS V6.10.x, then downgrading to 6.9.x is not recommended if you intend to keep your current volume.  Instead, extract the .img file from the appropriate OS .zip from the Netgear site and re-name that.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

You must use the one designed for OS4.2.x, but you put in an image for OS6 instead of OS4.2.

Note that the USB recovery may not entirely fix your problem.  When the boot flash gets that corrupt, the vpd (vendor product data) file is often also corrupt.  That's unique to your NAS (contains the unit type and serial number) and is encrypted.  So one of the Netgear mods here will have to assist you in restoring it if you find that you also have this issue.

Message 2 of 8
mikmager
Guide

Thanks for taking your time and helping. Much appreciated, I find it likely that my vpd file is also corrupt, but first.

I have to use this tool then: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ReadyNAS/RAIDiator%204.2%20USB%20Flash%20Recovery.zip?_ga=2....

Where can I find an OS6 image that fits into that tool?

I tried to these files:

ReadyNASOS-6.9.4-x86_64.zip (downloaded from netgear homepage)

R4toR6_6.9.5.bin (used when upgrading to OS6)

None of them are accepted by the usb recovery tool.

What am I doing wrong?

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The file has to be named in the form RAIDiator-X.X.X (with no extension).  If you are still on OS V6.9.x, then just re-name the R4toR6 file.  If you are on OS V6.10.x, then downgrading to 6.9.x is not recommended if you intend to keep your current volume.  Instead, extract the .img file from the appropriate OS .zip from the Netgear site and re-name that.

Message 4 of 8
mikmager
Guide

Thanks!

Now it shows. I don't know exactly which OS6 version I'm on.

I think I'm on latest and greatest as I do recall running an OS upgrade through the GUI after upgrading to OS6.

I will try 6.10.7.

Wish me luck tomorrow, it will probably be a corrupt VPD as well...

Message 5 of 8
mikmager
Guide

@SandsharkMany thanks!

NAS came up healthy after running the USB recovery process.

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Wonderful news.  Still, just in case, you might want to look at this: Backup-and-restore-of-VPD-file-for-legacy-ReadyNAS-running-OS6

Message 7 of 8
mikmager
Guide

Wow, cool. I will definitely do that.  The whole thing crashed when I was in the process of upgrading my ram to 4 Gb. I put the 1 GB back, so I still want to do the RAM upgrade.

So will back up my VPD and then try the ram upgrade, hopefully I don't have to post again on this forum 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements