× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas RN104 dead, best option to recover data?

tiff_lee
Aspirant

Readynas RN104 dead, best option to recover data?

Hi all,

so my RN104 appears to have died. When plugging in there is a brief flash of life on the LCD display and the ethernet port remains a solid green light but apart from that it is completely unresponsive.

From what i've read online this seems to be a common failure mode of the RN104 and since mine is out of warranty I now have a paperweight with 4 drives full of data.

Since the RN104 is now obsolete and I don't particularly fancy buying a used one, will I be able to recover the data using a 214 or a 424?

cheers, Lee

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas RN104 dead, best option to recover data?

Hi tiff_lee,

Yes, since the RN214 and RN424 are both running OS6 as well, you may just transfer the disks from RN104 to RN214 or RN424.

You may also check this article for reference.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tiff_lee,

Yes, since the RN214 and RN424 are both running OS6 as well, you may just transfer the disks from RN104 to RN214 or RN424.

You may also check this article for reference.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

If you move to an Intel based NAS like the 424, any apps you have will no longer work.  It is usually recommended you uninstall before the migration, but that option's obviously not open to you.  So, delete and re-install them once you're up and running on the new NAS.

The 214 is ARM based, like your 104, so nothing needed there.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements