× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas RND 4000 v3 compatible Hard Drive list

JeffP1
Aspirant

Readynas RND 4000 v3 compatible Hard Drive list

Hi All

Can't find my model in the list for this post, but it is a Netgear ReadyNAS RND 4000 v3.

Currently has 4 x 2 TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 5900rpm drives and been operating for years without an issue.

Now, a drive has failed. I have pulled it and restarted the box successfully. But don't have a drive to put in  it, so have copied everything to another drive to be safe.

However, I can't find a list of compatible drives and can't buy one the same anymore.

Best I have found is a 7900rpm drive but my understanding is it must be the same speed as the current drives.

Can anybody point me to a compatiobile list of drives or offer any suggestions?

Regards

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas RND 4000 v3 compatible Hard Drive list

You have an NV+ v1 NAS.  There is an HCL, but it is long outdated (Netgear stopped updating it quite a while ago).

You need to replace the drive with a 2 TB model, but you don't need to match the speed.

I recommend that you use a NAS-purposed drive.  I use a WDC "red" drive - WD20EFRX - in my v1 Duo, and that will work well in your NV+.  If you prefer Seagate, use their 2 TB Ironwolf drive - ST2000VN004.

NAS purposed drives are intended for RAID use, are reasonably priced and have good warranties.  They do use lower spindle speeds (like your DLs), so they run cool and are power-efficient.  They are also acoustically quiet. 

Message 2 of 3
JeffP1
Aspirant

Re: Readynas RND 4000 v3 compatible Hard Drive list

Thanks Stephen

I was looking at that exact Ironwolf drive that seemed to fit well, but was not sure about compatibility.

Well, after your clear response I think I will go with one of them.

Regards

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements