× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas ULTRA 6 Harddrive 6TB

warchucky
Aspirant

Readynas ULTRA 6 Harddrive 6TB

hello all
can i put 6x WD RED 6TB in my readynas ultra 6?
greetings
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas ULTRA 6 Harddrive 6TB

It should work, but you will need to do a factory reset with all drives in place (or insert all drives into the NAS and just power up).

If you are going to do this, you might consider switching to OS6 while you are at it. That would let you expand when the even bigger drives come along.
Message 2 of 9
warchucky
Aspirant

how can i install OS6 on a readynas ultra 6? i thought it only supported RAIDiator ?
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

warchucky wrote:
how can i install OS6 on a readynas ultra 6? i thought it only supported RAIDiator ?
Look here: viewtopic.php?f=162&t=80207

It is not supported by Netgear, but it can be done.
Message 4 of 9
warchucky
Aspirant

can i install 6x 6TB disks on RAIDiator 4.2.27?
what is the diskspace limit on 4.2.27?
Message 5 of 9
RX
Luminary
Luminary

warchucky wrote:
can i install 6x 6TB disks on RAIDiator 4.2.27?
what is the diskspace limit on 4.2.27?

I believe that you could use 6x6TB disks using RAIDiator v4.2.27. Just make sure that you perform a factory reset with all 6x6TB disks in place as per advised by StephenB.

As reference for the disk space limit (or rather volume limit), check this forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=79374
Message 6 of 9
warchucky
Aspirant

it seems the ultra6 has a max limit of 16TB, so i cant place 6x 6TB in raid6 cause then i have 24TB
Message 7 of 9
RX
Luminary
Luminary

warchucky wrote:
it seems the ultra6 has a max limit of 16TB, so i cant place 6x 6TB in raid6 cause then i have 24TB

I believe its still possible to support 16TB or greater, you just need to perform a factory reset on your Ultra6 with all 6x6TB disks in place to achieve dual redundancy.

Check info about x86 Legacy ReadyNAS like your Ultra6 regarding 16TB limit on this link: http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why ... -readynas/
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Ixa wrote:
warchucky wrote:

I believe its still possible to support 16TB or greater, you just need to perform a factory reset on your Ultra6 with all 6x6TB disks in place to achieve dual redundancy.
Correct. A factory reset with all drives in place will work. All drives need to be the same size, and you can't expand the volume later.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements