× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas duo hard drive failure

tokel
Aspirant

Readynas duo hard drive failure

Hello! I have a ~10 year old readynas duo (v1 or v2) with 2x 1tb hard drives in. Now it has not been powered for many years, and I want to get the data of the disks. However, when I boot I get this (in Swedish):

https://ibb.co/Nn9yRKr

"Felaktiga diskar hittades" = Incorrect disks were found

Does this mean that both of the disks have failed?

Now, whatever I do I cannot access the admin page. I can only ping the device, but it's not possible to access the admin page and it's also not possible to mount anything on the network. It's simply completely dead. What can I do?

Edit: The front of the device is just a blinking blue LED.

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You can try powering down the NAS and booting up with only disk 2 installed (keeping it in slot 2).

You can also connect disk 1 to a windows PC, and test the disk with vendor tools (lifeguard for Western Digital, seatools for Seagate).  If it is readable, you can extract data with r-linux for windows ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ )

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can try powering down the NAS and booting up with only disk 2 installed (keeping it in slot 2).

You can also connect disk 1 to a windows PC, and test the disk with vendor tools (lifeguard for Western Digital, seatools for Seagate).  If it is readable, you can extract data with r-linux for windows ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ )

Message 2 of 6
tokel
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, that did the trick (only running with disk 2)! Now I'm copying all files to a safe place. I'm thinking about buying a SATA->USB adapter. Do you know any good software (windows or linux) to test the failed hard drive to see if it's actually not working?

If I do a factory reset of the device now, where is the OS stored? Is it stored on some internal drive, or is it stored on the HDD? 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tokel wrote:

If I do a factory reset of the device now, where is the OS stored? Is it stored on some internal drive, or is it stored on the HDD? 

The OS is stored on the hard drive(s) in a small partition that isn't normally accessible.

@tokel wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a SATA->USB adapter. Do you know any good software (windows or linux) to test the failed hard drive to see if it's actually not working?

Having an adapter like that is often useful.  For disk testing, I use Lifeguard (Western Digital) and SeaTools (Seagate).  There are other options out there (HDDScan being one), but generally I stick with the vendor tools.

Message 4 of 6
tokel
Aspirant

Thanks for saving my data!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tokel wrote:

Thanks for saving my data!

I'm glad I could help.