× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas duo nv+ v2 failed disk and no boot

mrl2000
Aspirant

Readynas duo nv+ v2 failed disk and no boot

Hi

I have I think found that disk 4 (of 4) has failed. I found it making that known noise of disk failure, wouldnt reboot, tried again, removed disks checked it would come up with no disks.

Using sea tools, checked all 4 and disk 4 failed long test (thought I had a problem, with this a while back as NAS reporting faults but passed tests, was in warranty then).

But I cannot remember how to replace the disk if it wont boot, is it a case of just changing disk 4 for new(hopefully it is that one causing the fault) adn then let it boot(hopefully) and rebuild?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mrl2000 wrote:

But I cannot remember how to replace the disk if it wont boot, is it a case of just changing disk 4 for new(hopefully it is that one causing the fault) adn then let it boot(hopefully) and rebuild?

Try booting the system w/o no disk 4, and see if it then boots.

If it does, then hot-insert the replacement disk.  It should then resync.

If it doesn't, then you should test all remaining the disks with seatools.

Message 2 of 6
mrl2000
Aspirant

Thanks

It has booted at least looks normal, should I be able to access the volume when a disk has failed and dead?
Just got to wait on delivery for drive tomorrow and plug in and hope for the best.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mrl2000 wrote:
should I be able to access the volume when a disk has failed and dead?

If you are using XRAID or a RAID mode with redundancy (RAID-1 or RAID-5), then yes.

Message 4 of 6
mrl2000
Aspirant

That's interesting as it is a raid mode, can't remember which one, thought it was 2 and 2, but actually all disks are 1tb but total size is 2.9 tb with 2.7tb available.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mrl2000 wrote:
That's interesting as it is a raid mode, can't remember which one, thought it was 2 and 2, but actually all disks are 1tb but total size is 2.9 tb with 2.7tb available.

That would be RAID-5 (or XRAID).  4x1TB would give you a 3 TB data volume, with 1 TB used for RAID redundancy.  ReadyNAS uses TiB units (1024*1024*1024*1024 = 1 TiB), and that gives 3.85 TiB for the volume size.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements