× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas rn104 loses server status on network

Greysquirrel
Aspirant

Readynas rn104 loses server status on network

Hi,

I recently changed my router from a tp link to a Netgear Nighthawk. Aside from a number of issues that this created, the one that remains and I'm stumped on is that my NAS will seemingly lose connection/broadcast on the network. I have a number of media players (kodi/tv assist on iOS) the nas will show up as a server on a fresh boot but once it is left for a while it simply drops off and none of the apps/programmes can 'see' it. I can still access and login via IP address but it just seems to be hidden on the network - primary services for accessing are dlna and nfs.

any ideas? It works fine on the old router so must be some sort of setting on the new, Netgear, one!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas rn104 loses server status on network

Are the devices accessing it with NFS using IP addresses or hostnames?

Does the Nighthawk have the armor security package enabled?  How about parental controls?

Message 2 of 4
Greysquirrel
Aspirant

Kodi accesses via NFS is address ie .64.12/tv shows/filename.

i have just tried this on a file using kodi despite my NAS currently not showing as a server on other devices. It did play the file but took a long time to 'find' it and start.

no idea how my other devices access. One is a Samsung wireless speaker app where the NAS shows as a server alongside Deezer etc. It simply isn't there.

My Samsung tv usually shows it as 'media connected' and it will be a source in the source list.it simply isn't there. If I manually choose the video player it says no device connected.

the app on my phone is a casting type app and scans the network when you start and used to say 'server 1' players - tv, amp, iphone etc and I could browse the server and choose what file to cast to each device. It simply drops off the app and it says servers 0.

i don't have parental controls or the armour security package (as far as I'm aware).

im usually quite savvy on this sort of thing but am completely stumped?!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

DLNA would of course use DLNA (upnp) broadcast messages.

Not sure which you want to troubleshoot first.  But if you want to look at the DLNA stuff, look at the upnp settings in the router next.  If upnp is on, turn it off.  Otherwise, turn it on.  Then reboot the network and retest.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements