× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas102 - control disk spin down and power through CLI

sc101hell
Tutor

Readynas102 - control disk spin down and power through CLI

Hi,

Just redoing my NAS and out of date with the software a little

Before I go digging through files does anyone happen know, through CLI/ bash script how to control
* Wakeon lan (ethtool?)
* Power Settings
* Disk Spin down

Use case:
I'd like to control these settings through ssh commands so that I can change the behaviour of the system depending on use without using the GUI
e.g. all on for film night
all off for holidays
somewhere inbetween for normal usage - powered on, disks spun down

I'm happy with ssh/ CLI and Wakeonlan

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Power settings and spindown are in /ect/cron.d.  Since ethtool is installed by default in ReadyNASOS, I assume that's what they are using for WoL control.  It certainly reports the correct WoL state on my NAS, though I did not try changing anything to see if the GUI picked it up.  Though written for Ubuntu (which is a fork of Debian), the following should help: HOW-TO:Set_up_Wake-on-LAN_for_Ubuntu.  

Message 2 of 6
sc101hell
Tutor

Thanks Sandshark,

I'll have a play next week and report back but that's narrowed the search for me, much appreciated.

Looking quickly as spindown I'm not

Whatever delay you set the cron job is still the same

00 00 * * 0 root /usr/bin/spindown_schedule 1 &> /dev/null

Though it seems to be changing NOFLUSHD=10 in cat /etc/default/services
but also TIMEOUT=10 in /etc/default/noflushd

Not quite sure the order of what is changing what at the moment. Next week.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@sc101hell wrote:

Use case:
I'd like to control these settings through ssh commands so that I can change the behaviour of the system depending on use without using the GUI

You might find that your ssh setting changes won't survive reboot (the ReadyNAS application often rewrites configuration files then).

It'd be nice if there was a CLI interface to the ReadyNAS application that let you adjust these settings from ssh (but if there is, it isn't published).

Message 4 of 6
sc101hell
Tutor

Thanks Stephen.

I'll have a play but logically (hah) it must be storing that value for timout on disk musn't it? Or does it store those in the flash? e.g. are those settings still kept if you replace the disks?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@sc101hell wrote:

it must be storing that value for timout on disk musn't it? Or does it store those in the flash? e.g. are those settings still kept if you replace the disks?

The values are stored on the disks.  But the application has its own database of the settings, and it will sometimes recreate the usual linux files from the values in its database.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements