× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynaspro upgrade fro r4 to r6

ITwannabe
Aspirant

Readynaspro upgrade fro r4 to r6

I cannot seem to figure out how to update r4 to r6 even though other threads indicate how. Most threads indicate SSH and change a line in a linux directory. Then apply r6OS from what I understand.

Problem is r4 has SMB 1 and windows 10 requires SMB 2. There are threads out there but instructions are for the more savy. I need more details. Indications on posts are I can update, but not officially approved by Netgear. 

Model: RNDP4000 (ReadyNAS Pro 4)|ReadyNAS® Pro 4 System Diskless|EOL
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

The very old instructions you appear to be reading are to change a line in the OS6 update file so the NAS thinks it's an update for 4.2.x.  There are pre-made versions of that available, as well as a prep file that makes the process a little easier.  I believe this thread has the latest links: Latest-Working-Links-for-the-4-2-31-to-OS6-Upgrade-and-BIOS .  It also talks about a BIOS update, which is easier to do from OS 4,2,x than 6.x.  I don't recall if there is an update for the Pro4 in the package, but it does no harm to try, as the process does nothing if it does not identify a needed update.

The latest file I know is for OS6.9.5.  Once you are there, you can simply do a normal OS update if you want to go to 6.10.3.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The steps are:

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the BIOS it is easiest to do it prior to conversion.

Then:

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

You should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro only has 1 GB.  It will work, but it would be sensible to match the resources in the currently shipping NAS.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

Message 3 of 4
sharmy
Apprentice

Confirming that RAM upgrade was indeed required in my instance.

My PRO4 upgraded fine with factory RAM but performance was borderline, and it crashed quite regularly once upgraded. I replaced the RAM (SAMSUNG M470T5267AZ3-CF7 DDR2 4GB/800 SO-DIMM) and the unit has been performing flawlessly ever since (albeit, as a backup target for my 626X so not getting overly stressed...)

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements