× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recommissioning Old ReadyNas as Music server - RAIDar cannot find device on Network

Catalystv12v
Aspirant

Recommissioning Old ReadyNas as Music server - RAIDar cannot find device on Network

[Not sure if the device listed above is accurate as my device has RND4000-200EUS on the product label]. 

Hi

I have an old Ready Nas device wich has my music library on it.  It hasn't been used for a few years and I'd like to use it to stream music I've previously ripped.  

My Sonos application says it can't find a 'Share' - so I thought I'd check it using the RAIDar applciation.. I've updated to version 6.5.

When I luanch the RAIDar software it starts a scan and returns the message 'RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network. Check that your storage device is powered on and connected correctly. For more help, visit http://my.netgear.com.' 

The Nas device is connected to my router via an ethernet cable. I can see the device in the FINDER application on my Mac (connected via WiFi).. 

If anyone has encountrered this problem before could you please give me a stear as to how I can get the RAIDar software to discover my NAS drive. 

Many thanks 

Richard (UK)  

Model: RND4000v2 (ReadyNAS NV+ v2)|READYNAS NV+ v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Catalystv12v
Aspirant

Re: Recommissioning Old ReadyNas as Music server - RAIDar cannot find device on Network

Thanks again I think I'm kinda there now... I couldn't get 'admin' to work so I tried 'Guest' with no password and it accpeted it.. It's now updating music folders... so hopefully that means I can try playing some music shortly.. 

Thank you so much for your help.. I would never have figured this out on my own... Merry Christmas!! 

Richard 

PS it's working :0) 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Catalystv12v wrote:

[Not sure if the device listed above is accurate as my device has RND4000-200EUS on the product label]. 

This should be the NV+ v2.  You can confirm that by looking for ReadyNAS NV+ v2 on the front panel.

@Catalystv12v wrote:

I can see the device in the FINDER application on my Mac (connected via WiFi).. 

Are you seeing any errors on the NAS LCD display?

The fact that you can see it in Finder means you don't actually need to use RAIDar to find it.  You should be able to log into the web dashboard (https://nas-ip-address/admin - using the real IP address of course).  You will get a security exception, which you need to click through.

Checking the share access might be tricky from a Mac.  Your NV+ v2 only supports SMB 1.  Apple dropped SMB 1 support in Catalina. 

FWIW, Sonos requires SMB 1.

@Catalystv12v wrote:

When I launch the RAIDar software it starts a scan and returns the message 'RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network. Check that your storage device is powered on and connected correctly. For more help, visit http://my.netgear.com.' 

Can you connect the Mac using ethernet (as a test) and try again?

Also if you are running internet security software (for instance Kasperksy), try disabling it.

@Catalystv12v wrote:

My Sonos application says it can't find a 'Share'

Are you entering the path to the share in the Sonos app?  Or is it searching for the share?

Message 2 of 9
Catalystv12v
Aspirant

I've managed to get the Web dashboard.. so progrress.. thank you 

I'm now trying to connect my Sonos app and I'm using  the following directory path \\nas-A0-8E-21(CIFS)/media/Music/iTunes

Can you tell me whether this path configuration looks correct as Sonos is saying its unable to add the music share.. 

Thanks 

Richard 

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Catalystv12v wrote:

I'm now trying to connect my Sonos app and I'm using  the following directory path \\nas-A0-8E-21(CIFS)/media/Music/iTunes

Can you tell me whether this path configuration looks correct as Sonos is saying its unable to add the music share.. 

There are a few things here.

(a) Is the hostname of the NAS actually nas-A0-8E-21(CIFS) ? I'm thinking that it doesn't actually include the (CIFS) part.  So try removing that.  

(b) You are also mixing \\ and /.  Some applications are ok with that, but I suggest using just \.  For example \\nas-A0-8E-21\media\Music\iTunes

If that fails the same way, try using the NAS IP address instead of the hostname.

(c) The actual share name here appears to be "media". Music is a subfolder in the share, and iTunes is a subfolder of Music.  Many applications require just the sharename, and can't handle a path inside the share.  I don't know if Sonus is one of them or not.  You might need to reorganize the NAS so that the iTunes folder is it's own share.

FWIW, Sonos only can handle 65535 music tracks in a share.  If you have an extensive music library, you might exceed that limit.

Message 4 of 9
Catalystv12v
Aspirant

more progress..

I've restructured the path name as suggested.. Sonos is now giving the following error which seems to be password related.. 

I'm using the same admin pswd that I used to acces the web dashboard... is there another password that I need? 

Thanks again for your help with this !! 

error message from Sonos applicationerror message from Sonos application

Message 5 of 9
Catalystv12v
Aspirant

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 12.22.12.png

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Catalystv12v wrote:

more progress..

I've restructured the path name as suggested.. Sonos is now giving the following error which seems to be password related.. 

I'm using the same admin pswd that I used to acces the web dashboard... is there another password that I need? 

Setting the user name to admin, and using the NAS admin password should give access.

Maybe double-check that this was entered correctly.  If it is, then perhaps try accessing only the share (removing the /Music part).

Message 7 of 9
Catalystv12v
Aspirant

Thanks again I think I'm kinda there now... I couldn't get 'admin' to work so I tried 'Guest' with no password and it accpeted it.. It's now updating music folders... so hopefully that means I can try playing some music shortly.. 

Thank you so much for your help.. I would never have figured this out on my own... Merry Christmas!! 

Richard 

PS it's working :0) 

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I could help Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements