× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reconfig ReadyNAS 2100 post Factory Default

JS310
Aspirant

Reconfig ReadyNAS 2100 post Factory Default

I am attempting to repurpose my NAS here at home.  When I Factory Reset it I am not able to get to the Admin Setup Wizard.  I use the new IP address that it obtained and use the default username and password but it logs into the My Shares page with no options.  I ran the RAIDar utility but the NAS is not being discovered.  Ideas?

Model: RNRX4420|ReadyNAS 2100 8TB (4 x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Reconfig ReadyNAS 2100 post Factory Default

@JS310 wrote:

...and now the same password works.  What the heck?

Was the RAID resync still running?  The web UI can become non-responsive when that is going on.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JS310

Using RAIDar you should be able to run the setup. Have you tried accessing it via NAS_IP/admin? or have you finished the setup already?

HTH

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You do need explicitly browse to https://nas-ip-address/admin

It won't redirect to the admin page if you just browse to https://nas-ip-address

The username must be admin; the password for OS 4.2.x is netgear1.

Message 3 of 15
JS310
Aspirant

Yup.  I did try that as suggested and it does not work either.  Is there a way to reinstall the OS...besides the boot OS Reinstall?  That did not seem to work either.  Now I cannot ping the device or access the Shares page.

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@JS310 wrote:

Yup.  I did try that as suggested and it does not work either. 

Do you have an ad blocker or internet security software (avast, kaspersky, etc) running?  Try disabling if if you do.

Also, are you getting a security warning?  You do need to click through that.

Message 5 of 15
JS310
Aspirant

I decided to reboot it and try the OS install again but after the reboot it came back to life and is online.    Please see the attachment.  Should/can I upgrade to 6?  If so what is the preferred upgrade path?  Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@JS310 wrote:

Should/can I upgrade to 6? 

The 2100 v2 can be upgraded to OS-6, but not the v1.  But per your screenshot, you do have the v2.

If you want to run the current version of plex on the NAS, then you will need to upgrade.  Your other option is to mount the network share on a PC, and run plex there.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

@JS310 wrote:

If so what is the preferred upgrade path? 

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

<of course steps 1 and 7 aren't relevant if you've just done a factory default>.

If you do decide to convert the NAS, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro only has 1 GB.  It will work, but it would be sensible to match the resources in the currently shipping NAS - especially since you want to run Plex.

Message 7 of 15
JS310
Aspirant

Thanks for this response and instruction.  I have upgraded as detailed.  Does the admin password change after this upgrade?  The one I was using no longer works.  It was netgear1

Message 8 of 15
JS310
Aspirant

...a quick Google search and I found the new default password.  I am all good now.  Thank you so much!!!

Message 9 of 15
JS310
Aspirant

About the RAM...what is the max this device can take?  What do you suggest I bump it to knowing that I plan to use Plex?  Is there a spec I should purchase?  I cannot find anything online about the RAM upgrade.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@JS310 wrote:

About the RAM...what is the max this device can take?  What do you suggest I bump it to knowing that I plan to use Plex?  Is there a spec I should purchase?  I cannot find anything online about the RAM upgrade.

I don't own any rack-mount systems.  I suggest beginning by looking at how many memory slots the NAS has. I am thinking it has only one.

Another poster with a 2100v2 wrote  "The 2100 appears to use DDR2 800MHz (PC2-6400) CL6 SODIMM 200-Pin notebook memory and we've successfully tested 1, 2, and 4GB memory configurations." back in 2013.

Other posters reported success with these options in the Pro 4 (which AFAIK uses the same processor and memory system):

On the amount:  Shipping OS-6 x86 platforms use at least 2 GB of RAM (RN300 series and some RN420 series).  Many use 4 GB (RN520 series and the larger RN420 systems).  So I'd recommend at least 2 GB.  I have put plex on an RN200 series (which is arm based), and it runs ok with 2 GB.

Message 11 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

If I were designing it, I'd use the actual board from the Pro4.  And that may be the case, I've never seen the insides of a 2100V2.

Assuming it is the same as the Pro 4 (if not the actual board, the same schematic in a different form factor), the max is 4GB and the specs @StephenB gave are the right ones.  But you can confirmn by checking the specs of what's currently installed.  Given the current cost of older memory like this, I'd just jump to 4GB.

Message 12 of 15
JS310
Aspirant

I am experiencing something very strange and that is my password is not working.  I even set it so the password recovery was enabled but it is not working either.  I am glad I did not move any files to it yet so if you think a wipe is needed please let me know.  Also please do let me know the correct process for the wipe.  Thank you!

Message 13 of 15
JS310
Aspirant

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@JS310 wrote:

Was the RAID resync still running?  The web UI can become non-responsive when that is going on.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements