× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recycle bin on RN104

neonshades
Tutor

Recycle bin on RN104

Please give me an easy answer.... and please only answer if you know (no guesses).

is there a tick box to enable the recycle bin on the RN104?

My ReadNas NV+ V2 has a tick box to enable the recycle bin but I cannot find it in the RN104 menu. Help....

Thanks,

Robert....

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi neonshades,

Welcome to the community!

The answer to your question can be found on this thread.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
neonshades
Tutor

Hi BrianL,

Unable to follow your thread. Will not accept my login.

Nor will it send me a password update.

Robert....

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Must be a cut-and-paste error on Brian's part.

You could look here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Can-Recycle-Bin-be-enabled-for-CIFS-and-OS-6-1-...

and perhaps read through the posts after the highlighted thread as well.  The process will require some knowledge of linux.

Though I find Snapshots to be a good alternative.  With snapshots enabled, you can roll-back to older versions of the share, and if you right-click from windows on a file you can see/access previous versions.  If you right-click on the folder and access previous versions, you can select deleted files and restore them. It's not exactly the same as the recycle bin, but it is similar.

Message 4 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi neonshades,

Sorry, I made a mistake with the link I used in my previous post (I already updated it). Anyway, StephenB already gave an introduction on how Snapshots work on the new OS 6 systems. Just let us know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
neonshades
Tutor

Hi BrianL,

Thanks for the help but snapshot is not what I needed. Guess the simple answer is no, the recycle bin tick box has been removed from the RN104 operating system.

Shame really.

Regards,

Robert....

Message 6 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi neonshades,

I apologize if the said feature you are looking for is unavailable on the new OS 6 system. If you want this feature to be added again, I suggest that you post another thread on this board.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
davexyz
Aspirant

From the original post of JMehring 20 November 2013

putty and ssh required

1) create file addons.conf as below

\etc\frontview\samba\addons\addons.conf

I think you have to create the addons directory as well.

2) then edit addons.conf, I use vi, to include the shares that you wish to have Recycle Bin activated for (include the square brackets)

[name of your share 1]
vfs objects = recycle
recycle:repository = Recycle Bin
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:versions = no

[name of your share 2]
vfs objects = recycle
recycle:repository = Recycle Bin
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:versions = no

3) Save file. As you can see you can choose the name of the "bin" . leave putty window  open

4) to "activate"  go to frontview interface on the nas and the share window

toggle a property of the share for example ftp on to off.  this reloads the config file to include addons.conf

5)then in putty window type:

testparm

this should list your shares and show the recycle:parameters for the shares defined

6) close putty

I did this and I was a complete linux/ssh novice.

If you  install/update firrmware on the nas check that this file exists, factory reset obviously wipes this file

It works for usb attached drives etc just use the drive name ie USB_HDD_1 etc

for very large >5Tb usb drives there is  also a bit of a fidddle required on some NAS' due to the adding of the addons.conf file to the "main config file. If it does not load then post and I can give pointers on how to correct.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements