× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volume to use the disk - error msg rcvd after replacing bad disk with a new disk

R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Remove inactive volume to use the disk - error msg rcvd after replacing bad disk with a new disk

I replaced bad disk in slot 2 with a new one.  Booted up RN214-4.  Error msg says to delete inactive volume on disk 2 to use it.  Did that, twice.  System still shows same inactive volume error.  And system reports that the volume on disk 1 is degraded.  The data on disk 1 is still there and accessible.

Thanks.

Model Version:  ReadyNAS 214

Firmware:  6.9.5

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remove inactive volume to use the disk - error msg rcvd after replacing bad disk with a new disk

@R_W wrote:

Formatted

Then normally you need to select the disk on the volume page, and then click on format again.  The NAS won't automatically add a formatted disk to the array.

Though another option (IMO better) is to connect the disk to a Windows PC (USB or SATA) and test it with vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate; Lifeguard for Western Digital).  If the non-destructive long test passes, then run the destructive write-zeros test.  That will unformat the drive, and also gives some confidence that the disk is in good shape.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Remove inactive volume to use the disk - error msg rcvd after replacing bad disk with a new disk

I'm trying to get the system to acknowledge the new disk in slot 2 and add that new disk to the existing X-RAID (RAID 1).

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Was the replacement disk blank?  Or was it formatted?

Message 3 of 8
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Formatted

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@R_W wrote:

Formatted

Then normally you need to select the disk on the volume page, and then click on format again.  The NAS won't automatically add a formatted disk to the array.

Though another option (IMO better) is to connect the disk to a Windows PC (USB or SATA) and test it with vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate; Lifeguard for Western Digital).  If the non-destructive long test passes, then run the destructive write-zeros test.  That will unformat the drive, and also gives some confidence that the disk is in good shape.

Message 5 of 8
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used ReadyNAS' format option several times but the error msg to remove the inactive volume reappears each time on the very disk ReadyNAS reportedly formatted (guess I can't be sure ReadyNAS is actually formatting the disk).  I will try the PC/Windows suggestion to check the drive out.

Message 6 of 8
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ran the Lifeguard long test, drive passed 100%. Then ran the 0's write, drive repeatedly reported write fail errors.  Canceled the write-zero's test and ran the quick format option to write 0's to the first and last 1 million bytes on the drive.  Drive then reported being 100% healthy.  Installed drive back in the ReadyNAS and, voila! System drives are now syncing for the first time in the X-RAID.

StephenB, thank you for the tips.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@R_W wrote:

StephenB, thank you for the tips.

Glad I could help.

@R_W wrote:

Then ran the 0's write, drive repeatedly reported write fail errors. 

That's a bit concerning, so I suggest keeping an eye on this drive.  The NAS thresholds for alerting on disk errors are (in my opinion) much to high, so download the logs after the sync competes and check the smart data in disk_info.log.  Or if you have ssh enabled, you can check them with smartctl. 

Perhaps monitor them after that every week or so for a while.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements