× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remove inactive volumes after clearing root usage is 91%

Korky
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes after clearing root usage is 91%

Hi, Wondering if somene could help me with my readynas issue.

The device was complaining about volumn 30% remaining for a few days, which I ignored becuase the frontview showed I had 3TB free.  

Then a few days later I could not login to the frontview.  Logged into server via SSH and noticed logs error:

LOGMSG_SYSTEM_USAGE_WARN System volume root's usage is 91%

Checking root I noticed a large media file so I deleted it using the rm command.

Now login to frontview is working but I have lost my volumes (attached screen shot).  

Wondering if someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

Your help will be much appricated.

Log files attached

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 9
Korky
Aspirant

Log files upoad to fileshare :

Google Drive

<redacted>

Dropbox

<redacted>

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I redacted the log download links - logs shouldn't be posted publicly.

Instead send a private message (PM) to one of the mods - @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V - asking them to review the logs.  Post the download links in the PM.   You send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 3 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Korky,

It appears that the NAS detected a file system issue which caused the volume to go offline.

Dec 21 11:38:07 medellin kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): qgroup generation mismatch, marked as inconsistent
Dec 21 11:38:07 medellin kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 20487719354368 wanted 409344 found 409342
Dec 21 11:38:07 medellin kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 20487719354368 wanted 409344 found 409342
Dec 21 11:38:07 medellin kernel: BTRFS warning (device md127): failed to read log tree
Dec 21 11:38:07 medellin kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): open_ctree failed

Do you have a back up of your data?

If you do not have a backup, it will be best for you to contact NETGEAR Support because there are BTRFS errors and data is involved. They will check if there still some corrective changes that can be done via backend access or if data recovery is needed.

If you do have a backup, another option is to reset the NAS to factory default then recover from backup.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
Korky
Aspirant

Thank John,
Will reinstall of the OS not resolve the issue or
Adding additional disk drive?Will that make it matters worse?

No, I don't have backup of the data. The the data is mostly media which I can live without. However, I do have a few GB of family photos that I would like to recover if I can.

Thanks again

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Korky wrote:

Will reinstall of the OS not resolve the issue or
Adding additional disk drive?Will that make it matters worse?

An OS reinstall won't help - nor will adding another disk drive.

Message 6 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Korky,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as a solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 7 of 9
Korky
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, John.

Went down the route of purchasing paid support from netgear as advised.

Someone from level 3 logged into the NAS remotely and said they need to BTRFS restore but the customer must first purchase a data recovery contract. So, paid support are asking for more money additional £155 GBP for initial diagnostic.    There is no gareentee I will get the data back and it feels like I’m throwing more money at the problem when I should simply start from scratch (factory reset), which means loosing some data.

I’m not happy that on both occasions my ReadyNAS failed me its been because of the nas software itself and not the hardware or disks failing.  

The previous occasion it was a root partition full problem and the device was a ReadyNAS pro 4 disk.  This time it’s my RN626X00 and is a file system corruption issue.

question : Had I not enabled raid on the device would data recovery be easier? I think I would have been able to plug the disks into my desktop and read off the data.

Does anyone know what BTRFS restore involves and wheather this is something I might be able to do myself with some good instructions ? At least I should able able to do the initial diagnostic myself and then decide if it’s worth purchasing the data recovery option from netgear.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Korky wrote:

Does anyone know what BTRFS restore involves and wheather this is something I might be able to do myself with some good instructions ? 

It's not something I've done myself.  There is some information on the utility here: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Restore

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements