× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,4,5

cubewebsolution
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,4,5

Hi,

I've been using the ReadyNAS 31600 with 4 WD Red 3TB drives for a few years and it's worked flawlessly over that time and I always keep the firmware updated.

Last week when I went to transfer some files from my hard drive to one of the shared network drives on the NAS, I encounted a permissions error which seemed very odd. I could navigate the NAS shared drives, but could not move any files there. So I just logged into the NAS via the web browser and rebooted it, just like any other time.

Upon rebooting, my laptop and pc both reported that the drives were missing.

So once I logged into the NAS via the web browser again, I could see the issues outlined in the screenshots attached.

It had 'Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,4,5' along the top of the screen.

I have no idea what's gone wrong or how to fix this issue.

Can someone in the community advise how I can fix this, and if I'm able to get Netgear support to assist.

I have about 10TB data on the NAS, and as we know it's not always feasible to have this 'backed up' elsewhere!

Look forward to any/all advice.

Cheers, Jason.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,4,5

Hi @cubewebsolution

There is a possibility that the NAS has failing or failed drives getting the volume inactive. Other possible cause would be Full OS Partition that is causing performance issues like the one you had.

If you have the full logs downloaded kindly send it to us via PM using Google drive. 

The best option right now is to contact Support so they can assist you on fixing the inactive volume issue. Please note that there is a possibility that a Data recovery service might be needed and the experts will let you know about it.

Another option is to recover data yourself if you are comfortable on doing it, you can use softwares like r-linux or ReCLAIMe.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
cubewebsolution
Aspirant

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,4,5

Hi Mark, I will send you the log files as I had already downloaded them in the expectation of sending them.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements