× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk

AHPL
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk

I have Netgear readyness 428. From last few days it is showing remove inactive volume 123456 to use the disk, Netgear technical team not giving any support because product is no longer supported. There is 14 TB important data of last 5 years in the drives and I don't have backup. Please help me to recover volume.
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk

@AHPL wrote:
I have Netgear readyness 428. From last few days it is showing remove inactive volume 123456 to use the disk, Netgear technical team not giving any support because product is no longer supported. 

Something odd there - did you purchase a support contract?  Perhaps the mods ( @JeraldM or @Marc_V ) can help with that aspect.

@AHPL wrote:
There is 14 TB important data of last 5 years in the drives and I don't have backup. 

Ouch.  

Have you downloaded the full log zip?  Did Netgear support do any troubleshooting?

Message 2 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AHPL 

Welcome to the Community!

I believe I have answered another post you have about this issue. If your NAS is registered on your myNETGEAR account I would strongly advise that you create an online case so they will be able to support and assist you with the volume offline concern.

You can go to my.netgear.com to do so.

HTH

Message 3 of 15
AHPL
Aspirant

Netgear technical team not doing any help, My product is under warranty & support license has been expired, When I am renewing my support license it is showing this product is not supported. I have called customer care no. they are saying I can't help you because this issue is related to L3 support & not transferring my issue to technical support. My data is crucial & I am just hopeless from Netgear.

Please help.

Message 4 of 15
AHPL
Aspirant

Sir,

I have purchased a support card, and during activation of the key, a message shows the key is not supported for this product. After that I sent a mail to the Netgear team but no benefit I am helpless.

I have already downloaded the full logs.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@AHPL wrote:

I have purchased a support card, and during activation of the key, a message shows the key is not supported for this product.

I suggest also sending a private message (PM) to @Marc_V  with the details of exactly what you purchased - he might be able to help with support access.  Send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Netgear doesn't offer support for used ReadyNAS, so you do need to be the original purchaser.

Message 6 of 15
AHPL
Aspirant

@StephenB A private message regarding the activation is sent to @Marc. Can you help me to resolve my NAS inactive or dead volume? All 6 drives are showing in red. Need to activate volume or data recovery. or can provide L3 support direct contact no. 

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@AHPL wrote:

Can you help me to resolve my NAS inactive or dead volume? All 6 drives are showing in red. 

It's really best to try and get Netgear support engaged.  Can you give them a couple more days?

Message 8 of 15
AHPL
Aspirant

@StephenB I am calling daily Netgear customer support from the last 10 days but didn't get any solution.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@AHPL wrote:

I am calling daily Netgear customer support from the last 10 days but didn't get any solution.

I understand the frustration in getting access.  

One challenge is that there are multiple possible causes, and diagnosing via the forum is difficult.

Also, support has much more experience with diagnosing/repairing this problem than I have.  So there is much less risk of data loss.

Message 10 of 15
AHPL
Aspirant

@StephenB As per Netgear, they have discontinued this product so they no longer support it. My product serial no. 516176EJ0002C. Can you check?

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@AHPL wrote:

As per Netgear, they have discontinued this product so they no longer support it. My product serial no. 516176EJ0002C. Can you check?

I don't work for Netgear, so this isn't something I can pin down. I do know that the RN428 is not marked as discontinued here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RN428.aspx

I also know that my.netgear.com allows me to purchase a support contract for my RN526, which is older than the RN400 platforms. Though I haven't needed to do that.   

And that Netgear is still providing OS-6 firmware updates.

I am guessing that you might be interacting with tier-1 support, which I think is outsourced - and that they might not be giving you the correct information.  FWIW, the RN428 is considered a business NAS, and you might be interacting with home user support.

The US data sheet says the warranty is 5 years, and the product was launched in May 2017. ( https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/RN426_RN428.pdf ). 

Though my understanding here is that the diskless NAS warranty is reduced to 3 years in Japan (and perhaps other geographies).  My.netgear.com should tell you whether your NAS is still covered by warranty or not.

In any event, the hardware hasn't failed, what you need here is software support.

Message 12 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AHPL

Were you able to get the NAS registered to a MyNETGER Account? If yes, kindly login to my.netgear.com select the NAS, create a case and provide it to me.

HTH

Message 13 of 15
AHPL
Aspirant

@Marc_V  My product is already registered & I have registered a case to the Netgear team when my new support card key failed to activate which is purchased from an authorized Netgear vendor. They replied to me:-
"Thank you for contacting NETGEAR Support. NETGEAR is no longer offering phone support for ReadyNAS products. You can go to https://community.netgear.com to get your questions answered." 

Message 14 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AHPL

Please PM me your case number

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation