× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace / Hot Swap Disk - Device changed from SDB to SDE - Normal?

steveoelliott
Luminary

Replace / Hot Swap Disk - Device changed from SDB to SDE - Normal?

Hi Folks,

I have a 526X with four drives in a RAID 6 array and due to some bad sectors on one of the drives I replaced it.

It is currently syncing to the new disk but I notice that the device name has changed for the replaced disk from sdb to sde. I'm assuming this is to be expected even though the replacement disk went into the same bay (2).

I just want to be sure this change of device name for the new drive won't cause any issues after reboot. I'm guesssing when rebooted the drive may get back it's sdb name.

Thanks...

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replace / Hot Swap Disk - Device changed from SDB to SDE - Normal?

@steveoelliott wrote:

I'm assuming this is to be expected even though the replacement disk went into the same bay (2).

I just want to be sure this change of device name for the new drive won't cause any issues after reboot. I'm guesssing when rebooted the drive may get back it's sdb name.

This is normal (I saw the same thing when I replaced a disk a few weeks ago).  It will go back to sdb when you reboot.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@steveoelliott wrote:

I'm assuming this is to be expected even though the replacement disk went into the same bay (2).

This is normal (I saw the same thing when I replaced a disk a few weeks ago).  It will go back to sdb when you reboot.

Message 2 of 3
steveoelliott
Luminary

Thanks Stephen. I thought as much.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements