× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace disks in ReadyNAS

Cajuntank
Aspirant

Replace disks in ReadyNAS

I have several ReadyNAS units (4 slot or 12 slot chassis at several sites) I have deployed that I am wanting to swap out the 4TB drives with new 16TB WD Gold drives. I don't care if I lose data from the array or if I need to recreate the array, etc...

Can I just pull all the drives at once, put in the new drives, recreate the array and go from there or is there a better workflow than this?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Replace disks in ReadyNAS

You'll have to be more specific about the model numbers, OS versions, and RAID types to give a more specific answer.  In general, the answer is yes and you won't have to lose any data as long as you are running XRAID, but there are some limitations, especially if they are legacy machines still running OS4.2.x.  Since you said you don't care if there is data loss, then the answer is even more likely to be yes.

But you may want to re-think this unless the age of the drives is such that you just want to replace anyway.  Incrementally upgrading can help spread out when any future drive failures can occur.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements