× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replaced 4 NV+ RND4000 500GB with 2TB disks but there is no capacity increase

Joe-9O
Aspirant

Replaced 4 NV+ RND4000 500GB with 2TB disks but there is no capacity increase

Hello,

I've replaced 4 x 500Gb disks with 4 2Tb disks (1 at a time).

However the volumes did not get expanded to reflect the added physical storage.

My understanding is that the volumes should have been automatically expanded after the last disk was added, initialised and sync'ed.

The firmware is the latest available revision:

Name:   RAIDiator                          

Version: 4.1.16                                 

Date:     Tue May 23 05:15:15 2017 

Size:     57580544

Attached is the screenshot of the NV+ admin volume screen.

I'd appreciate any advice on this issue.

Thank you!!

Avinash

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replaced 4 NV+ RND4000 500GB with 2TB disks but there is no capacity increase

Try rebooting the NAS and see if expansion starts.

Message 2 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen,

I tried that with no luck.

I also tried "Resync Volume"

And I have presently rebooted with the "Check and Fix Quota" option selected.

It is presently offline as it is doing this check.

Thank you - Avinash

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Joe-9O wrote:

And I have presently rebooted with the "Check and Fix Quota" option selected.

It is presently offline as it is doing this check.

If that fails to solve it, then try enabling journaling and disabling disk spindown.  Then try rebooting with "check and fix Quota" a second time.

Message 4 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen!

I will try that if the current "fix quota" reboot does not work.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Joe-9O wrote:

I will try that if the current "fix quota" reboot does not work.

If that fails, then the best approach is to back up the data and do a factory default with all disks in place.  Then rebuild the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

If your volume is very old (created with 4.1.6 or earlier), then you might get some performance gain - 4.1.7 and later do 4K sector alignment which is advantageous with most 2 TB disks.

Message 6 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice Stephen! 

I really appreciate it.

Regards - Avinash

Message 7 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Apologies for not providing an update.

The expansion failed even after repooting. 

I'm pretty sure I have to do a factory reset to get the full 4 x 2TB capacity online.

Unfortunately the external drive that I bought to do the back up failed.

I just got a new external drive to do the back up.

However the access to the NAS slows down significantly part way through the install to the point I have to do a reboot. After the reboot it attempts to do a volume expansion that always fails.

Right now I'm copying off the files directly and having to do reboots when it inevitably slows down (with the usual failed attempts at expansion each time).

I think it will take another 4-5 days before I'm in a position to do a factory reset.

I'm hoping for the best. 

Thanks for all the advice.

Message 8 of 9
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Once again thanks for the advice.

I finally was able to back up all files from my NV+ (not using the back up utility), factory reset the NV+ which then extended the volume available successfully.

I had found that some MAC files that I had stored on the NV+ originally could not be deleted no matter what option I tried. I even tried deleting the Share but that did not work. Specifically I had put the Wine app (that allows win programs to run under MACOS) on the NV+ Share. I suspect this prevented the automatic expansion of the volume - thus forcing me to do a factory reset.

Thank you!!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements