× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement Hard Drives for NV+ V1 WD Gold WD20005FBYZ

jeromes58
Aspirant

Replacement Hard Drives for NV+ V1 WD Gold WD20005FBYZ

I will be upgrading my four 9+ year old 1T  WD10EADS-00L5B1 drives in my NV+ V1 unit.  I am looking at four WD Gold drives model WD2005FBYZ.   My NAS is at Raidiator 4.1.14.  Block size is 16384, so I should be good with the increase drive size.

Has anyone used this drive in a old NV+ V1 unit?

Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Replacement Hard Drives for NV+ V1 WD Gold WD20005FBYZ

I'm not sure why you would go with Gold on an NV+ instead of Red.  You're going to get equal performance on them, and the Reds will run cooler.  But I see no reason they won't work so long as your OS is up to date.  Before there were NAS rated drives, I used Enterprise drives on an NV (not even plus).

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I'm not sure why you would go with Gold on an NV+ instead of Red.  You're going to get equal performance on them, and the Reds will run cooler.  

The NV+ is limited by it's sparc processor, so I agree there won't be any performance gain with the Gold's.  Personally I'd have gone with Reds.

Though the Golds should work.

Message 3 of 9
jeromes58
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

I'm not sure why you would go with Gold on an NV+ instead of Red.  You're going to get equal performance on them, and the Reds will run cooler.  But I see no reason they won't work so long as your OS is up to date.  Before there were NAS rated drives, I used Enterprise drives on an NV (not even plus).

I picked the Enterprise drive (WD Gold) for reliability, not performance.  The NV+ is my home backup device, with four 9+ year old 1T WD Green drives installed.  I am hoping to get 9+ years out of the new drives, but time will tell. 

I will report if the drives are compatiable or not with the NV+ V1 after they arrive.

Message 4 of 9
jeromes58
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

I'm not sure why you would go with Gold on an NV+ instead of Red.  You're going to get equal performance on them, and the Reds will run cooler.  

The NV+ is limited by it's sparc processor, so I agree there won't be any performance gain with the Gold's.  Personally I'd have gone with Reds.

Though the Golds should work.

I picked the Enterprise drive (WD Gold) for reliability, not performance.  The NV+ is my home backup device, with four 9+ year old 1T WD Green drives installed.  I am hoping to get 9+ years out of the new drives, but time will tell. 

I will report if the drives are compatiable or not with the NV+ V1 after they arrive.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@jeromes58 wrote:
I picked the Enterprise drive (WD Gold) for reliability, not performance. ... with four 9+ year old 1T WD Green drives installed.

FWIW, my own NV+ is still using WD green drives (2 TB models) I purchased in 2010.  I have a Duo v1 also - which has a WD Red and a Seagate drive.  I've been using Red drives in other NAS since 2012, and I've found them to be very reliable.

The NV+ has been quite reliable for me too, but I don't expect it to run for another 10 years.  I use my old sparc ReadyNAS as secondary backups.

Message 6 of 9
jeromes58
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@jeromes58 wrote:
I picked the Enterprise drive (WD Gold) for reliability, not performance. ... with four 9+ year old 1T WD Green drives installed.

FWIW, my own NV+ is still using WD green drives (2 TB models) I purchased in 2010.  I have a Duo v1 also - which has a WD Red and a Seagate drive.  I've been using Red drives in other NAS since 2012, and I've found them to be very reliable.

The NV+ has been quite reliable for me too, but I don't expect it to run for another 10 years.  I use my old sparc ReadyNAS as secondary backups.

Good to know.  The only reason I am changing drives is that #1 of the four is showing signs of failing via reallocated sector count is increasing.  Count is at 4 now.  Happy to have had the good years of serviced from the drives.  I am sitting on a replacement power supply for my NV+ so I hope so see another 10 years.  My unit is on a desktop with good air flow.  I keep it clean.

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 2 Current count: 4 

Message 7 of 9
jeromes58
Aspirant

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Personally, I don't even blink at 4 re-allocated sectors, unless it's on a really new drive; but it's up to you.  I've had drives last years after a couple re-allocated sectors show up.  I always have a spare drive around, just in case, but have never done a wholesale replacement except for capacity's sake.  Of course, I do always have a current backup on another NAS, too.

I have 4 Hitachi Desktop rated drives with over 60K hours still going strong that have been moved from one NAS to another a couple times.  They are now relegated to a backup system only because of their smaller size.  Spinning up 3 times a week for the backup is likely harder on them than constant use.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements