× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement Model for ReadyNAS NV+

leeandjon
Follower

Replacement Model for ReadyNAS NV+

My ReadyNAS NV+ is no longer usable.  After spontaneously shutting down I restarted it and it went through a FS check (several hours).  It appears to be fine, showing the normal info on the front, but I can't access the drives.

I think its time for a new NAS. 

I was looking at the RN214D42 - but I want to make sure that it has the same functionality as the NV+ in that I can create a number of (virtual) partitions that I can map as external drives.  I then access files on the NAS directly from my PC.  I don't want to have to copy files back and forth from the NAS to PC.

e.g. 

A: \\NAS\Archive

G: \\NAS\Documents

M: \\NAS\Media

etc...

If I can replicate my existing data structure it will make it easy to restore my backed-up data.

Grateful for any help.

Lee.

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacement Model for ReadyNAS NV+

FWIW, the D42 bit in RN214D42 means that Netgear supplies the NAS with four 2 TB drives.  While convenient, it is usually more expensive than buying your own disks.  If you buy the RN214 diskless and added four WD20EFRX you'd save about $60 (all prices are based on today's Amazon US pricing).  The D42 is about $670, the RN214+4 WD20EFRX is about $613. 

Though I suggest getting fewer but bigger disks - leaving some room for easy expansion later on.  For instance, 2x6TB would give you the same space as 4x2TB.  It would cost about $40 more, but gives you two slots for later expansion.

3x4TB drives is another option.  Three WD40EFRX are about the same cost as two WD60EFRX.  They'd give you 2 TB more storage now, but less expansion later.

If you prefer Seagate disks, then Seagate IronWolf would be a good choice for the RN214.

@leeandjon wrote:

I was looking at the RN214D42 - but I want to make sure that it has the same functionality as the NV+ in that I can create a number of (virtual) partitions that I can map as external drives.  I then access files on the NAS directly from my PC. 

These are called network shares - not "(virtual) partitions".  The RN214 does let you create network shares (as does the NV+).

Overall the RN214 will have more features than the NV+, and it is a lot faster. It you want more details on OS 6, there is a software manual for it here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

@leeandjon wrote:

If I can replicate my existing data structure it will make it easy to restore my backed-up data.

You can certainly replicate the shares on the new NAS.  The RN214 will create a bunch of shares by default, but you can delete them from the web ui.

ReadyNAS also have a private home share feature.  In the NV+ you can explicitly enable or disable it in the web ui.  The RN214 doesn't give you an explicit control for that.  But you can essentially disable them by turning off all file sharing protocols on "home".

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements